ofEnableSmoothing() won't work correctly

when I call ofEnableSmoothing() and draw lines, the lines do not get an anti-aliased effect (I was expecting something like smooth() in Processing), but rather they just get a bit thicker. It looks similar to strokeWeight(3).

Not smooth:

with smoothing enabled:

is this what is supposed to happen?

It works for me if I do this:

void testApp::setup() {  
	ofBackground(255, 255, 255);  
	ofSetColor(255, 0, 0);  
}  

void testApp::draw() {  
	ofEnableSmoothing();  
	drawLines();  
	glTranslatef(0, 200, 0);  
	ofDisableSmoothing();  
	drawLines();  
}  

void testApp::drawLines() {  
	for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++)  
		ofLine(50, 50 + 10 * i, 300, 10 + 20 * i);  
}  

Does that look pretty similar to what you’re doing or not? It should look exactly identical to this Processing code:

import processing.opengl.*;  

void setup() {  
  size(512, 512, OPENGL);  
  stroke(255, 0, 0);  
}  

void draw() {  
  background(255, 255, 255);  
  smooth();  
  drawLines();  
  translate(0, 200);  
  noSmooth();  
  drawLines();  
}  

void drawLines() {  
  for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++)  
    line(50, 50 + 10 * i, 300, 10 + 20 * i);  
}  

Ok, I think it’s a problem with my graphics card or something, because trying it out on another computer works fine. I wonder if there’s some way to fix it though, other than just buying a better graphics card… any ideas?

Memo mentioned in the other thread: rendering it at twice the resolution then resizing it. Besides that, I doubt there are any quick fixes.

Out of curiosity, does the Processing example work? I mean, does GL work with Processing but not OF? That’d be really strange. What card do you have?

Hello, I’m sorry to bring up this old topic, but I have the same issue: ofEnableSmoothing() is not working at all. I tryed with ofStyle::smoothing, and I got back a “false” result, even if I put ofEnableSmoothing() in the draw function. Somebody knows what’s the problem? I’m on a MacBook pro mid 2010.