ofCamera::worldToScreen returning wrong coordinates?

Hi oF people.

I’m currently trying to do some hit detection of billboarded panels sitting above a 3D environment. Basically they are labels that sit atop buildings. I’m using a billboard shader to draw the labels which is very effective.

I want to be able to click on the labels in order to access more information about the 3D point that it is attached to.

To do this I want to get the 3D position of the point in world space, I then want to convert it to screen space by using cam.worldToScreen§;

ofCamera cam;
// World coordinate of Point
ofVec3f worldP = ofVec3f(x, y,z);
ofVec3f screenCoordinateOfP;
screenCoordinateOfP = cam.worldToScreen(worldP);
if(mouseIsNearToPoint(screenCoordinateOfP)) {
// Do stuff
}

I would have thought this would work but instead when I call worldToScreen(worldP); I end up getting weird numbers, mostly numbers that are way off-screen. For a given world point which should return sensible values like: (728, 450) (calculated using a screen ruler)

I’m getting values like: (2365.24, -645.439) which on a 1920x1080 screen would mean that the point is off-screen.

Any idea why these numbers seem so wrong? Once have the screen coordinate of the point I can easily work out if my mouse is near it!

Thanks,

James Bentley

Hey!

Just answering my own question here. I was actually translating my points before I was drawing them so I needed to manually add that translation to my world space points before calculating my screen space points!

Good learning :slight_smile:

JB