ofAppGLFWWindow: couldn't create GLFW window

Hello,

I’ve just finished setting up openframeworks with Code::Blocks on my laptop running windows 8.1 x86 and I can’t get any application to run, wether they are my own or examples.

Compilation works perfectly but when it comes to the execution of a project, by running it through Code::Blocks or launching the .exe file, I’ve got no output except the following errors in the command window:

ofAppGLFWWindow: couldn’t create GLFW window
ofAppGLFWWindow: couldn’t create window

And Windows telling me that <name_of_project>.exe stopped working.

I’m trying to use a fairly old laptop for this and I didn’t encounter the problem when using another computer of mine (also windows 8.1 but x64).

Is there a way to get GLFW to work?

Best regards,

Max

can you try a simple example but alter the main.cpp with this code

#include "testApp.h"
#include "ofAppGlutWindow.h"

int main(){
            ofAppGlutWindow window; // create a window
            // set width, height, mode (OF_WINDOW or OF_FULLSCREEN)
            ofSetupOpenGL(&window, 1280,720, OF_WINDOW);
            ofRunApp(new testApp()); // start the app
    }

to see if the glut window works?

if so, can you run the glInfo example with a glut window to get some info about your opengl stack?

Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer!

I copy-pasted the code inside the emptyExample and the app still crashes on startup. The difference is that I don’t get anything written in the command window anymore.

This also generates a bunch of warnings during compilation regarding LIBCMT, OLDNAMES and some others.

Is there something else I can try?

can you try downloading something else (not OF) that’s using opengl (such as an opengl testing application) and see if it’s something related to your graphics card?

http://www.ononesoftware.com/support/607/
http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

Hello,

Thanks again for helping me out!

You seem to be right about the problem being related to my graphics card. DoctorGL crashes on startup but glview works fine and tells me that my openGL version is 1.1, which seems ridiculously low.

I tried updating the drivers for my graphics card but it seems I’ve already got the latest ones.

I guess I’ll find myself another computer to work with openFrameworks, this laptop was getting old anyway.

Thanks a lot for your help!

hi,

Regarding this issue,
7.04 is open gl 1_1 compatible (though using the term compatible is misleading , it’s a bug)

nevertheless,

with the latest OF (8.0_*++) I can’t compile on several machines either- keep getting this error,

machines that I was able and still am able, to compile using 7.04.

like: windows xp, 2 g ram, core 2 duo \ intel® G43/G43 Express Chipset

//i use old PCs all the time in my installations…

maybe you should try an older version of OF before going out to buy new equipment.

http://www.openframeworks.cc/download/older.html

if you reaaly want OF8++

you can compile unter GL 1_1 by doing the following:

a) use the code Zach gave you to run GLUT, :heart_eyes:

then go in ofAppRunner.cpp

ofGLReadyCallback()

and comment out

//Default colors etc are now in ofGraphics - ofSetupGraphicDefaults
//ofSetupGraphicDefaults();
//ofBackground(200);
//ofSetVerticalSync(true);
//ofEnableAlphaBlending();