oF sub-section champions

One thing that occurred to theo was that the priorities of development is quite organic and random at the moment.
He thinks thats partially because its guided a lot by our own areas of interests as artists/designers. The result of this is that some parts of OF are more developed than others.
eg: OpenCV vs sound or physical interfacing ( our serial class example is still super old school c style ).

One thing that might be worth thinking about is that we have **people who are tasked with managing different areas of interest. **

They would be officially responsible for feature development just in that section.
They would be people who are actively using the tools in that section in their work.
They become the main point of contact for the OF community in relation to that part of OF.
They would be appointed on 6 months terms and the community could provide feedback on their contributions. ( this way if they don’t enjoy the process they can step down and let someone else try ).

A tentative list of areas and potential champions (I’ll edit as they come in):

general:

• roadmap
  • repository/integration manager ( keeps pull requests / issues in check )
  • examples
  • addons
  • web/documentation
  • git/github assistance: bilderbuchi

core:

• sound: danomatika
  • 3D ( could be a couple of people ): elliotwoods, NickHardeman
  • graphics / 2D: obviousjim
  • file/system
  • video: obviousjim (mostly osx), gameover
  • hardware / io
    * serial/dmx/osc: joshuanoble
  • image / pixels
  • network ( osc / tcp / udp etc )
  • ui / gui / window: underdoeg

platforms:

• iOS
  • android
  • windows [very much needed!]
  • linux: benben
  • mac

kylemacdonald: whatever is left :wink:

put my name down for the ‘graphics 3D team’

I don’t know if everything fits in the subsections: For me I would say: Everything related to linux.

great!
can we list the categories and who might be interested in managing them.

I’m imagining:

general:

• roadmap
  • git manager ( keeps pull requests / issues in check )
  • examples
  • addons
  • web/documentation

core:

• sound
  • 3D ( could be a couple of people )
  • graphics / 2D
  • file/system
  • video
  • hardware / io
  • image / pixels
  • network ( osc / tcp / udp etc )
  • ui / gui / window

platforms:

• iOS
  • android
  • windows
  • linux
  • mac

I edited the first post with theo’s list and our first volunteers :slight_smile:
“First responder” badges for ben and elliot! :smiley:

I’m interested in sound, I will be working with it via ofxPd for some time to come …

I’m interested in the hardware/io, particularly serial/dmx/osc

i’m really interested in cv. but i’m going to be working on it via ofxCv at the moment rather than maintaining the core ofxOpenCv. when it’s more robust/fleshed out i’d love to open development up some more.

i’m also really interested in long-term OF development.

i feel like i could contribute to a lot of different areas… maybe after everything is “called” i can take whatever people don’t claim / whatever you guys think i could manage best. i’d like to contribute however possible!

One thing that seems to be missing from the core team is a Windows lover. Someone interested into keeping up with the VS releases, win codeblocks quirks, and keeping forum support nice. Not that I’m volunteering myself for it, just saying: I’ll buy a few beers for whoever does it, because it’s needed :slight_smile:

Out of a serious need for it and because of my work on ofxFenster, I could contribute to ui / gui / window. Although I’m not really sure about the state of a gui in OF right now, it is quite a talked about topic. Still hard to start something…

my primary interest would also be in gui (and osc), but I don’t currently have the resources to be a champion.

i’m interested in taking on video - although my cross platform abilities are pretty lousy as i’m mostly just familiar with os x.

Also 2d graphics if no one else with more conviction is vying for it.

Having worked with OF + Bullet quite a bit lately, I would like to be a part of the ‘3D team’. :slight_smile:

Given my work on threaded video loading (topic,1335.msg19364.html) and audio/video sync’d recording based on obviousjim’s code (topic,6390.msg30477.html) I’d be into helping with video.

I’ve been doing some work with Theo’s VideoInput classes too (needed to recompile them to get, amongst other things, MJPEG decompression happening) so have that setup in VS2010 and compiling against latest DirectShow.

Although I tend to do my core developing in OSX, 90% of my performance/installation works are delivered on Windows machines, so perhaps I can lend a hand to X-compiling for Windows too…

M

I just put myself down for git/github assistance.

i had a longer discussion with zach/theo/arturo, and now we’re doing an ‘official’ call for these positions, posted here http://forum.openframeworks.cc/t/call-for-leaders/8391/0

we’ve taken into consideration the people who posted here, and we’ve contacted a few people directly already.