oF on Win 8 status

I got a little gig for Window 8 launch and assumed oF apps would at least run in compatibility mode, but so far they have crashed in every mode. I have only run quick tests on a HP Compaq 6710b with Centrino, running a Windows 8 Release Preview (32). I have not run through CodeBlock so I have no debug info so far but I gather it crashes due to OpenGL/DirectX issues? Installed QT, no dice. Even graphics examples fail.

Is this expected? What is the plan?

I installed JAVA and ran some processing sketches in OPENGL mode and they worked fine, so I will revert to plan B for now.

well, without any more precise error message it’s pretty difficult to tell what went wrong. :stuck_out_tongue: Do your apps compile properly, without errors?

Sorry, yes, I realize it is a bit of a rubbish message. This was just a quick test with 007 and 0072 examples (ImageLoader and GraphicsExample) that compile and run just fine on an XP. They just crash on startup in the Win8 machine. Just wanted to check if there is any reason why they wouldn’t run. If oF is supposed to be compatible off the bat that I will install CodeBlocks on that machine and get some debug info. I just haven’t found any info on oF and Win8.

As far as I know nobody has thought much about Win8 until now.
I ask again: do your apps compile on win8 without errors, or do you just take the ones compiled on XP and execute them on Win8? if the latter, I wouldn’t expect that to work, there’s just too many changes and time between the two OSes…

These are compiled on the XP and usually they run fine on vista/win7 whatever. Are you suggesting compiling on another version of windows would actually change the binary? I would have assumed I would need another compiler to get other results. Anyway, installed CodeBlocks 10.5 on this win8 Release Preview and get no compilation errors but the following list should tell something about where the problem lies for the apps that crash on start up.
Running**
events/eventsExample
graphics/fontShape
audio/audioOutput
gl/glInfo

Crashing
3d/advanced3d
gl/alphaMaskingShader
gl/pointAsTexture
graphics/imageSequence
graphics/imageLoader
graphics/color
graphics/polyLineBlob
graphics/imageCompression
video/videoPlayer

The machine is fairly basic so it may as well be an issue with lacking graphics card support (glInfo says: openGL 1.1.0, no shader support, no vbo :-o)

Kyle said something about changes in OpenGl and DirectX support in win8, but the apps tried even in XP compatibility mode have crashed. The offending line is ofImage::draw so seems likely.

How can I get more useful debug info when compiler says nothing?

Thanks for reply
/borg

useful info would be a stacktrace after a crash, which would show you where it crashes exactly. don’t know how to do this in windows, though.

I have crashes also on Windows 8, with VS 2010, OF 0072.

Callstack with 3d/advanced3d :

>	advanced3dExample_debug.exe!ofSetVerticalSync(bool bSync)  Line 344 + 0x13 bytes	C++  
 	advanced3dExample_debug.exe!testApp::setup()  Line 35 + 0x7 bytes	C++  
 	advanced3dExample_debug.exe!ofNotifySetup()  Line 77 + 0xf bytes	C++  
 	advanced3dExample_debug.exe!ofAppGlutWindow::runAppViaInfiniteLoop(ofBaseApp * appPtr)  Line 332	C++  

on line :

if (WGL_EXT_swap_control) wglSwapIntervalEXT (1);  

exception :

Unhandled exception at 0x00000000 in advanced3dExample_debug.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation.  

with my app, here :

>	xxx.exe!ofTexture::drawSubsection(float x, float y, float z, float w, float h, float sx, float sy, float sw, float sh)  Line 950 + 0xd bytes	C++  
 	xxx.exe!ofGLRenderer::draw(ofImage_<unsigned char> & image, float x, float y, float z, float w, float h, float sx, float sy, float sw, float sh)  Line 190	C++  
 	xxx.exe!ofImage_<unsigned char>::drawSubsection(float x, float y, float z, float w, float h, float sx, float sy, float sw, float sh)  Line 749 + 0x6a bytes	C++  

on line :

glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0);  

exception : same

panick
can I help ?

everything ok after installing last screen driver for win8