OF on ubuntu, Poco throwing error while compiling

I recently installed OF latest build on Ubuntu 15.10 64 bit. I followed all the steps displayed in guide for installation. All the dependencies and libraries are installed correctly using given scripts. I am using CodeBlock as IDE. Now, when I tried to compile one of the example I got several errors related to Poco. I trie to compile using IDE and command line too, just to make sure CodeBlocks is not creating any problems. Error reads like this:

"/media/rikil/Data/of_v0.8.4_linux64_release/libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/../../../libs/openFrameworks/utils/ofFileUtils.cpp:1429: undefined reference to `Poco::Path::Path(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)'"

There are another 50 similar errors related to undefined reference to Poco .

Also, when I try to compile Project Generator, Is also shows error.

In file included from src/projects/CBLinuxProject.h:12:0,
                 from src/testApp.h:6,
                 from src/main.cpp:2:
src/pugixmlLib/src/pugixml.hpp:97:10: error: reference to 'basic_string' is ambiguous
  typedef std::basic_string<PUGIXML_CHAR, std::char_traits<PUGIXML_CHAR>, std::a
          ^
src/pugixmlLib/src/pugixml.hpp:37:57: note: candidates are: template<class _Elem, class _Traits, class _Ax> class std::basic_string
  template <class _Elem, class _Traits, class _Ax> class basic_string;
                                                         ^
In file included from /usr/include/c++/5/string:39:0,
                 from ../../../libs/openFrameworks/utils/ofConstants.h:347,
                 from ../../../libs/openFrameworks/ofMain.h:5,
                 from src/main.cpp:1:
/usr/include/c++/5/bits/stringfwd.h:71:11: note:                 template<class _CharT, class _Traits, class _Alloc> class std::__cxx11::basic_string
     class basic_string;
           ^
src/pugixmlLib/src/pugixml.hpp:505:3: error: 'string_t' does not name a type
   string_t path(char_t delimiter = '/') const;
   ^
src/pugixmlLib/src/pugixml.hpp:918:3: error: 'string_t' does not name a type
   string_t evaluate_string(const xpath_node& n) const;
   ^
src/pugixmlLib/src/pugixml.hpp:1066:2: error: reference to 'basic_string' is ambiguous
  std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > PUGIXML
  ^
src/pugixmlLib/src/pugixml.hpp:37:57: note: candidates are: template<class _Elem, class _Traits, class _Ax> class std::basic_string
                                                         ^
/usr/include/c++/5/bits/stringfwd.h:71:11: note:                 template<class _CharT, class _Traits, class _Alloc> class std::__cxx11::basic_string
     class basic_string;
           ^
src/pugixmlLib/src/pugixml.hpp:1067:2: error: reference to 'basic_string' is ambiguous
  std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > PUGIXML
  ^
                                                         ^
     class basic_string;
           ^
src/pugixmlLib/src/pugixml.hpp:1070:2: error: reference to 'basic_string' is ambiguous
  std::basic_string<wchar_t, std::char_traits<wchar_t>, std::allocator<wchar_t> 
  ^
                                                         ^
     class basic_string;
           ^
src/pugixmlLib/src/pugixml.hpp:1071:2: error: reference to 'basic_string' is ambiguous
  std::basic_string<wchar_t, std::char_traits<wchar_t>, std::allocator<wchar_t> 
  ^
                                                         ^
     class basic_string;
           ^
In file included from src/testApp.h:15:0,
src/textButton.h: In member function 'void textButton::setText(std::__cxx11::string)':
src/textButton.h:52:27: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
         for (int i = 0; i < breakUp.size(); i++){
                           ^
src/textButton.h:54:19: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
             if (i != breakUp.size() -1) text += deliminater;
                   ^
src/textButton.h: In member function 'void textButton::draw()':
src/textButton.h:133:23: warning: unused variable 'h' [-Wunused-variable]
                 float h = rectString.height;
                       ^
../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk:191: recipe for target 'obj/linux64/Release/src/main.o' failed
make[1]: *** [obj/linux64/Release/src/main.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/media/rikil/Data/of_v0.8.4_linux64_release/apps/projectGenerator/projectGeneratorSimple'
../../../libs/openFrameworksCompiled/project/makefileCommon/compile.project.mk:126: recipe for target 'Release' failed
make: *** [Release] Error 2
there has been a problem compiling the projectGenerator
please report this problem in the forums

the gcc version in ubuntu 15.10 is not compatible anymore with previous version so some libraries need to be recompiled. 0.8.4 won’t work but with 0.9 (right now the nightly builds) the install script will recompile poco so it’s compatible with the new compiler

There was a problem with the nightly builds yesterday but they should be working again later today, you can find them below the normal downloads

I was trying to find nightlies here (what I think are the normal downloads): http://openframeworks.cc/download/ but I couldn’t, so I looked a bit and found this page http://www.openframeworks.cc/nightlybuilds.html - hope this is the right location.

those are quite old, i’ve just fixed the last issue (fingers crosed : ) and it should be ready in some minutes, the correct location is the downloads page

1 Like

Thanks @arturo - it is indeed ready, I was getting a 404 inside an iframe on http://openframeworks.cc/download/ - but just now I can see nightly builds with v20151016 … Cheers!

Thanks man, I will try out nightly build! I am expecting there won’t be much stability issues with nightly builds.

no, 0.9 is almost done so the current nightly builds are really stable now

Hey, I tried installing dependencies for 0.9 nightly build but got error regarding opencv. It is as below:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libopencv-dev : Depends: libopencv-objdetect-dev (= 2.4.9+dfsg-1ubuntu6) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libopencv-highgui-dev (= 2.4.9+dfsg-1ubuntu6) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libopencv-legacy-dev (= 2.4.9+dfsg-1ubuntu6) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libopencv-contrib-dev (= 2.4.9+dfsg-1ubuntu6) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libopencv-videostab-dev (= 2.4.9+dfsg-1ubuntu6) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libopencv-superres-dev (= 2.4.9+dfsg-1ubuntu6) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libopencv-ocl-dev (= 2.4.9+dfsg-1ubuntu6) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libcv-dev (= 2.4.9+dfsg-1ubuntu6) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libhighgui-dev (= 2.4.9+dfsg-1ubuntu6) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libcvaux-dev (= 2.4.9+dfsg-1ubuntu6) but it is not going to be installed

What should I do?

that seems a problem with ubuntu’s repo, since it’s still in beta (is it?) i think you should report it in their issue tracker