oF + ModBus or oF + BacNet.. anyone with experience / preference?

For an upcoming work we need to communicate with some building control systems, and we’ve just met with the company that we’ll work with. They told us that we can communicate using either the Modbus or Bacnet protocol, depending on our wishes.

We haven’t worked with either before, and will build our control-app in openFrameworks, and on OS X.

Does anybody have experience with these, and more important: a preference? Why?

Thanks!

Hey eelke,

I know this is kind of an old thread. Figured I’d reply for people in the future.

I am working on a project with Modbus and needed to interface OF with some VFD drives. So I wrote an almost complete add-on for Modbus TCP. Its got a lot of error checking to go. But the basics are there. I have only tested this with registers.

Ryan

1 Like

Also a really slow reply from my side, but thanks @ryanww! We wrote our own classes for this, with a LOT of blood, sweat and swearing. Have not tried your addon, but regardless I would advice anyone to use it (and not develop it in-house)!

Yea, totally hear you on that. It took me 2 weeks to make. There are still a couple of things I need to fix like error handling and device disconnects, but overall it has been very solid. Just launched a project with 6 VFD’s each with their own modbus controllers.