OF: CMake-based cross-compilable openFrameworks for Linux

Hello, everyone! I’m sharing my scripts which can compile OF with MinGW-w64 compiler from Linux.

It means you can get fully statically working apps for Windows without touching Windows, which is really neat if you use C++11 features or if you writing apps primarily on Linux, but still want compatibility with another system.

Go check out github page and try to cross-compile your apps. Let me know if something go wrong.

For those of you who don’t want to compile anything here is precompiled libraries: github.com/procedural/crossof/releases

Cross-compiling openFrameworks projects for Windows on Linux
openFrameworks project files for QtCreator (qmake)

of is distro-agnostic now, thanks to guys behind MXE project!

This is how you can start using latest openFrameworks:

Clone git repo like so:

git clone https://github.com/procedural/of
cd of

Install all the necessary system dependencies for compilers (example for Ubuntu):

And that’s it. You can compile openFrameworks and its dependencies by yourself like so:

mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. -G Ninja -DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=clang -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++

And for Windows:

mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. -G Ninja -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=`find /opt/mxe -name mxe-conf.cmake`

For any questions, let me know here!

of now supports Fedora!

Now you can easily debug your applications on Linux with Clang Static Analyser and Clang Address / Leak Sanitizer! Clang Leak Sanitizer is so good that it detects leaks in open source graphics driver on my Fedora 20 setup :smile:

It’s also fast, much faster than Valgrind.

Clang Static Analyser is great as well, it detects few issues in recent commits of openFrameworks master branch, one of which takes 26 steps throught branch switching before it gets bad.

And by the way, don’t forget that CMake can generate project for your IDE! Try it and tell if it’s working for you.

Also, I’m hosting latest ofBook.pdf. Note that the book is not finished yet, so read it if you really want to, despite some typos or other issues unfinished book may have (Advanced graphics is my favorite chapter so far, really great insight by @arturo Castro!)

Big news, everyone!

OF can now be compiled on OS X! Giant thanks to @asper for this!

Also, free Visual Studio Community 2013 is supported now too, here’s the guide how to set it up:

And if you ever wondered how to start write openFrameworks applications on Linux, here’s the guide on how to install and use Qt Creator IDE for that:

OF is synced with latest openFrameworks again! OS X still needs more testing, so if anyone knows anything about CMake – test it and open an issue if needed, I would appreciate it.

Also, Visual Studio support is dropped (see why here, tl;dr version: it sucks) in favor of Clang on Windows. Yep, you heard it right!

With latest work of awesome guys like Martell Malone it is possible to compile C++ with Clang and have somewhat working openFrameworks apps on this platform. I say somewhat because it’s not tested fully yet and bugs are possible, but they’ll go away with time. If you still need stability, compile with MinGW-w64 as usual and don’t forget to overload our issues page!

OF is synced with openFrameworks 0.9.8 !

And now you can easily cross compile for Raspberry Pi under Ubuntu.
A step by step tutorial is here : https://github.com/ofnode/of/wiki/Cross-compiling-for-Raspberry-Pi
The hardest step is to build a Raspberry Pi image with all needed dependencies.

Have fun !

Did you say you were able to build an app for Window on Linux? Any pointers to where I should start?

I was already trying to use the windows makefiles to use x86_64-w
64-mingw32-gcc but that’s not working due to the makefiles exiting when detecting Linux.