oF and XCode 4.x: Advisable for beginners?

Hi!

I am studying computer science in the 3rd term. This term i am doing a lecture in visual computing. My two team-mates and I would like to use openFrameworks for the practical part of the lecture. We are all using MacBooks with Mac OS X 10.7 / 10.8 preinstalled, thus we can’t downgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 and thus are unable to use Xcode 3.x. In the download section as well as in the user forums are reports about troubles with Xcode 4.

Now I want to estimate what to expect if we are using openFrameworks with Xcode 4. As mentioned, we are in the 3rd term now. This means we have basic knowledge in programming and operating system, but we are still far away from being experts.

I am sorry if this sounds like we want to make the whole as simple as possible and want to avoid any unnecessary work. That’s not the case. It’s just that we have to avoid to figure out at the end of the term that we are faced with unsolvable troubles.

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Jürgen

the current version (0072) supports 10.8/Xcode 4 so you should be ok

After a few false starts, I’ve had no problem getting XCode 4.5, oF 0071, and OSX 10.8 to get along…
There are two main catches:

#1 - Download / Copy the 10.6 SDK and put it inside the Package Contents of XCode 4.5 beside the 10.7 & 10.8 ones (search the XCode part of this forum, you’ll see the link)

#2 - You have to manually edit the scheme and add a target in order to get a project to Run…

~ J

I cannot say about osx 10.8 as I am still with 10.7.

But as someone who started programming on mac, using Xcode 4.3…I can only recommend it.
There are some beginners trap that you can avoid checking the oF installation tutorial and then you should be ok.

Thanks for the replies!

One question remains (sorry if it’s a stupid one):

What do mean with “support”? Do you mean with version < 0072 oF could only be used together with XCode 3.x? ‘jesses.co.tt’ wrote that he uses 0071 with XCode 4.5

Thanks!

I haven’t tried 0072, but I think that it means that the projects are properly setup to work in 10.8, and that you don’t have to pre-edit each project the first time… though I’d love for someone else to confirm that / call me on that… ???

If you are using OSX 10.7 and Xcode 4.5.2 :
1- Download OF v0073 from here - http://www.openframeworks.cc/versions/v0073/of-v0073-osx-release.zip
2- Open up projectGenerator and create new project.
3- Go to /apps/myApps/ and open the new project you just create with projectGenerator.
4- On Xcode follow these steps I have put in pics (see attach for screenshots).
5- Build&Run your OF app.