No drawing during first frames

Hi there. I am just beginning to learn OpenFrameworks, so I might be missing something trivial. I have the following problem: it appears that nothing is being drawn during the first few frames when running a program with ofSetBackgroundAuto set to false. When I run the code below the debug/command window shows the frame numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc, as expected, but in the main window numbers start only to appear after the third frame, thus showing 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. Furthermore, the main window starts with a white background and only turns black after the third frame. This behavior is independent of frame rate, occurs in debug as well as release mode, and it also occurs with other drawing commands. When I leave out the ofSetBackgroundAuto command the output is as expected, thus counting starts at 0 with a black background. I am using OpenFrameworks v0.8.1 with MS Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop.

#include "ofApp.h"

ofTrueTypeFont myfont;

//--------------------------------------------------------------
void ofApp::setup(){
    ofSetFrameRate(1);
    ofBackground(0);
    ofSetColor(ofColor::red);
    ofSetBackgroundAuto(false);
    myfont.loadFont(OF_TTF_SANS, 12);
}

void ofApp::update(){

}

void ofApp::draw(){
    cout << ofGetFrameNum() << endl;
    myfont.drawString( ofToString(ofGetFrameNum()), 20, 20*(ofGetFrameNum()+1) );
}