New York City?

Everyone loves the big apple! I would love to see a code-night up in manhattan. There should be tons of resources for space. And I’m sure lot’s of the top design agencies will send their agents! :slight_smile:

Yes! Agreed! I’d sign up for an OF workshop/class in NYC in a second! Any chance there will be one during the New York Electronic Art Festival in October?

Thanks so much!!

There used to be semi-regular OF knitting circles that Zach used to have at Eyebeam. Given that there’s a few OF people around it should be easy to get together a regular user group together. Make a meetup.com group or something? I know a few different people who’d be interested in hosting.

and we’ve had quite a few since eyebeam (maybe 4 or 5), usually at parsons. the summer was a bit hectic with travel for me, so I was only able to host one, but I think it shouldn’t be a problem have more regular events in the fall. I think once things get rolling in the fall, we’ll start up alot of that stuff.

workshops for the fall are in discussion right now w/ NYC resistor and pratt (I think the NYC resistor will be a for a nominal fee, but the pratt one will be free, both are open to beginners). I will be talking at NYEAF too, so maybe there’s a chance to do something.

I’ll keep this thread and the OF mailing list up to date when I’ve got more confirmed.

take care!
zach

The workshops are awesome, but I think having something semi-regular in the same place (once monthly or something) where people can get together and trade ideas, etc, is pretty sweet too. I know for me my attendance rate on gatherings, etc, goes way up if there’s a regular time/place that I can plan into my routine. Just an idea. If I still lived in NYC I’d totally be there.

yeah I agree about regular events – one issue with holding them at parsons was availability and internet access – the wifi is super locked down, making it challenging for a lot of outsiders to get online at the same time. Also, personally, I just haven’t been home more then a few weeks at a time this summer (doing stuff like http://fffff.at/eyewriter/), so it’s been hard to organize. this fall is quite different.

I’ve talked to the change you want to see (they have a cooperative spae), and a few other places… I think mid - late sept we’ll kick it off again. if folks have venue recommendations, let me know! If folks want to help with organizing too, PM me…

tx !
zach

[quote author=“zach”]
workshops for the fall are in discussion right now w/ NYC resistor and pratt (I think the NYC resistor will be a for a nominal fee, but the pratt one will be free, both are open to beginners). I will be talking at NYEAF too, so maybe there’s a chance to do something.

I’ll keep this thread and the OF mailing list up to date when I’ve got more confirmed.[/quote]

YAY!!! So glad to hear!! Especially that the workshops are open to beginners. I really want to learn OF but I don’t have much experience coding so I’m having a hard time starting.

NYC Resistor is a great group, I’ve been to a class there before. 3rd Ward might be a good place to do a workshop as well, this fall they are having a Processing one.

Please keep us up to date!
And thank you so much for the update!
keka
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I am interested with joining OF and learn all the about this. I know it would give me a lot of important information that I may learn. I’m so glad that your open for beginners. I’m looking forward to hear some updates about this.

If anyone come up with a plan for workshop, classes that beginner could identify with please pass the word on.

greetings!

I’m still in discussion with pratt about doing something bigger there, but here’s an upcoming one at nyc resistor that I’m giving in a few weeks:

http://openframeworks.eventbrite.com/

also, I’ve talked to harvestworks and I think they’d like to do something similar to the public school in LA (there’s also a public school in NYC but it’s architecture driven). If that works out we could see about an OF workshop there.

take care!
zach

also, if you are in nyc, check out this class proposal for the public school and jump in if you are interested:

http://nyc.thepublicschool.org/class/2041

take care!!
zach

We’re planning on running an introduction to openframeworks at Parsons on April 17th with myself, Nick Hardeman and Zach Gage. Will cover the basics as well as some advanced topics. More info to come soon!

Yes! Agreed! I’d sign up for an OF workshop/class in NYC in a second! Any chance there will be one during the New York Electronic Art Festival in October?

Thanks so much!!

Bump!

I would love to restart the NYC knitting circles if anyone else is interested. If there’s enough interest, I’m certain I could find somewhere to host it.

-Zach