New MS Kinect library made w/MS Open Tech

A collaboration between Microsoft Open Tech, myself, and James George, a new creative code oriented Kinect for Windows library wrapped in OF addon. I’m very happy about this and excited to see MS collaborating with OF/Cinder people: http://github.com/joshuajnoble/ofxKinectCommonBridge

Hi Joshua, what a great addon!

I cannot compile examples in Release mode. Error as follows. Any hints? Thanks.

Error	10	error MSB3073: The command "xcopy /e /i /y "C:\of_v0.8.0_vs_release\addons\ofxKinectCommonBridge\example-Simple\..\..\..\export\vs\*.dll"   
xcopy /e /i /y "C:\of_v0.8.0_vs_release\addons\ofxKinectCommonBridge\example-Simple\..\libs\KinectCommonBridge\lib\windows\x86\*.dll"   
:VCEnd" exited with code 4.  

Is “C:\of_v0.8.0_vs_release\addons\ofxKinectCommonBridge\example-Simple…\libs\KinectCommonBridge\lib\windows\x86\*.dll” a valid path? It could be an error in the project but it also might just be a paths issue?

Thanks Joshua, I copied project configuration of example’s debug mode to release mode but don’t know why debug mode had no such issue. I solved by adding the “x86” folder in ofxKinectCommonBridge\libs\KinectCommonBridge\lib\windows.

I found that old shaders (OpenGL 2.x) didn’t work so I disabled the programmable renderer in main.cpp and consequently the kinect color image’s hue went wrong (no greenish color). Seems using OpenGL3.x shader with programmable renderer is the only solution? Did I miss anything?

No I just haven’t gotten around to getting the shading techniques I’m using in GL3 to work in GL2, focusing on voice and face tracking right now :confused:

Thanks for the addon !
How do you work with two Kinects at the same time ?
I tried with two instances of ofxKinectCommonBridge and init them with initSensor(id) using different id but none of the camera is working. Or is it a USB bandwith issue ? I only use initDepthStream.

How do I display color image ?
I read the documentation, but when I do in setup :

kinect.initSensor();
kinect.initColorStream(640, 480);
kinect.start();

in update :

kinect.update();

and in draw :

kinect.draw(0, 0);

nothing is displayed !
Do I have to use kinect.getColorTexture() and use a shader and a plane for that simple task ?

Thanks for this!

I’ve noticed that I can only seem to detect the upper half of the body. Is this meant to happen? Is there any way to detect the full body?

Thanks.

Did you use initSkeletonStream(true) ?
You should try with initSkeletonStream(false)

Hey do you have a timeline for when features like facial recognition and(even more importantly) background subtraction are going to be added? I was hoping since this was an MS Collaboration we’d have access to some of the newer features earlier, are they perhaps hidden but still accessible?

1 Like

Wonder if someone can help… The example-Simple app crashes for me on startup. Wondering if its because I have something wrong in the setup (vs2012 on win8 with kinect sdk1.8 and ofx 0.8.1). This happens with and without the property sheet suggested. I get these error in the cmd-shell:

[ error ] ofAppGLFWWindow: 65543: WGL: OpenGL profile requested but WGL_ARB_crea
te_context_profile is unavailable
[ error ] ofAppGLFWWindow: couldn’t create GLFW window
[ error ] ofAppGLFWWindow: couldn’t create window
[notice ] allocating a buffer of size 1228800 when k4w wants size 1228800

[ error ] ofShader: begin(): couldn’t begin, shader not loaded
640 480
[ eSrTrAoRrT ING THREAD
] ofShader: begin(): couldn’t begin, shader not loaded

And these in the console:

First-chance exception at 0x0093814F in example-Simple_debug.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000204.
Unhandled exception at 0x0093814F in example-Simple_debug.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000204.
The program ‘[2068] example-Simple_debug.exe’ has exited with code 0 (0x0)

Hey guys,
Thanks for the addon! I get as far as being able to build all the examples, although they all show up with a scrambled image and I get a notification saying “[ notice ] allocating a buffer of size 1228800 when k4w wants size 1228800 … 640 480 Starting Thread” I am using the latest sdk. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.