New (discourse) forum feedback thread

I love discourse. And I’m very excited to be able to use the forums now. The old forms consistently rejected me … and all I wanted to do was help … :smile:

Nice migration work!

@arturo one little thing. Probably a discourse bug …

yes i had to migrate all the data using sql queries and some tables are not complete, although the date of posts is correct some tables store the date of the post again and those might not have the correct data, i think it is only the latest post of every category so once those change it’ll be ok

1 Like

This topic is now pinned. It will appear at the top of its category until it is either unpinned by a moderator, or the Clear Pin button is pressed.

new site is fun to navigate and use . maybe if category placed as side bar rather than dropdown

Takes some getting used to, but I can deal with that. Overall it’s a bit confusing, colourful, and promising.

But, the emoticons are rather annoying. When dealing with code snippets that have not been marked as a block of code. Check this reply for instance: Scaling & Mouse Input (ofxUI related)

It should read: ofAppGlutWindow::passive_motion_cb(). Instead it reads: ofAppGlutWindow::Passive_motion_cb()

And when copying you get something even worse: ofAppGlutWindow:stuck_out_tongueassive_motion_cb().

Perhaps this was already a problem before and I never noticed, but its rather unhandy.

I think this was also a problem in the old forum, but I am also not sure. Easiest solution: Mark code as code, it only takes two characters, and makes it more readable, too. :wink:
The mangling after copy/paste is annoying, I grant you that (because you’ll typically not be able to fix that on your end) - you can always report the issue at http://meta.discourse.org/

oh, didn’t realize about that, in the old forum i removed the emoticons completely but in this one i left them but didn’t realized that that was going to happen to some unmarked code.

i’ll take a look into it but it’s difficult to change since the text is not rendered in real time but prerendered and stored in the db so even if i remove the emoji plugin the ones already there won’t go away.

anyway for new posts it shouldn’t be a problem as bilderbuchi says since you have the preview but i’ll check if i can fix it for old posts

Discourse offers some nice features for guiding how people post – for example when new users write their first message a little window should pop up reminding them about the standards, etc. I’d suggest that we keep emoji and and spend a little time crafting those new user guidance messages.

yeah, yeah is not about new posts but the ones that were ported from the old forum which are badly formated, i’m not saying to remove emoji but instead disable it while rerendering the old messages again.

1 Like

I like the new forum !, but i discovered that my private messages was disappeared…

I noticed that the old URL (http://openframeworks.cc/forum/) now renders a 403 Forbidden.
Maybe this can replaced with a forwarder to the new URL?

that was the old-old : ) url the one we were using 2 versions of the forum ago but it was redirected in the previous one. anyway i’ve added a redirection in case anyone still used that

Ability of putting a [SOLVED] flag to the post would be very helpful.

1 Like

In the Discourse environment, it seems that archiving (which permanently freezes the thread) is the preferred mechanism of indicating completion, for now. I’m not sure I agree this is the best way to go about this, though.

love the new forum look and the way you get around.
completely LOVE the search method. rather than it going through the whole database in one page it just pops up. lovely.

i second the [solved] flag as well. would be useful. would act much like githubs way of telling things have been fixed etc

also. when entering a headline to what your asking, it seems to put the first letter of the first word as a capital automatically. dont know why, how can this be turned off?

best

Does it “discourse” let add tags to help searching? i think it would be nice…

No tags afaik, because they tend to not work so well:

Have you had problems finding things, that you feel the need to tag, @kalwalt?

Regarding capitalization, this seems to be a default-on feature:

@bilderbuchi No, i haven’t had troubles with it, it was just a thought to improve the forum. In theory adding tags “should” improve the searching mechanism, but i’m not very expert in this field.