New addons ofxAutoRiggingModel

Hi guys,

I’m working on this addons:

create an automatic rigging for model
and apply to it motion capture data for animation.

file supported: [ obj | ply | off | gts | stl ]
(I’m implementing a method for taking a ofMesh)

video:

basic method:

ofxAutoRiggingModel rig;
rig.load("model.obj","animation.txt");
rig.update();
rig.drawSkeleton();
ofMesh m = rig.getMesh();

adding enum AUTO_TYPE_RIGGING for select type rigging:

HUMAN = HumanSkeleton()
HORSE = HorseSkeleton()
TQUAD = QuadSkeleton()
CENTAUR = CentaurSkeleton()

added parser for bvh animation, example:

@kashim awesone addon :slight_smile:

@kashim ha Great addon! I think I made something similar earlier this year ( the code is super dirty and not addon friendly yet). How is your’s working? (I haven’t read the papers on which you based it) My code was mainly doing a morphological thinning and then converting that into paths which were latter sorted out and filtered , mainly leaving end points and bifurcations. Then these points were linked to the original model points in order to create a weight map.

Cheers!

Hi and thanks,

this actually for now is just a wrapper of Pinocchio library and BVH parser.
the library Pinocchio is responsible to apply a rigging starting from one of the five presets provided:

HUMAN
HORSE
TQUAD
CENTAUR

if the library automatically it manages the position of the bones
then try to apply an animation.

digging in the library I discovered that you can add references to help the rigging process.
for the future I’m adding:

method to take a input ofMesh.
method to take BVH animation and convert into motion for Pinocchio.

good day.

@kashim I see! I didn’t realize that there was a library involved. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ll take a look into those papers later.

All the best!

This addon looks great and I love to give it a try but unfortunately it doesn’t compile on my mac. (OSX 10.12.1 / Xcode 8.1 / OF v 0.9.7)

This is the output from the make command in the terminal:

Compiling OF library for Release
HOST_OS=Darwin
HOST_OS=Darwin
HOST_OS=Darwin
Done!

Compiling example-bvh-parser for Release
HOST_OS=Darwin
Compiling /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/example-bvh-parser/src/main.cpp
c++ -c -Os -DNDEBUG -mtune=native -stdlib=libc++ -Wall -fexceptions -fpascal-strings -mmacosx-version-min=10.7 -D__MACOSX_CORE__ -x objective-c++ -std=c++11 -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/FreeImage/include -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/boost/include -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/boost/include/boost -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/cairo/include -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/cairo/include/cairo -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/fmodex/include -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/freetype/include -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/freetype/include/freetype2 -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/freetype/include/freetype2/config -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/freetype/include/freetype2/internal -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/freetype/include/freetype2/internal/services -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/glew/include -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/glew/include/GL -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/glfw/include -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/glfw/include/GLFW -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/glut/include -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openssl/include -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openssl/include/openssl -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/poco/include -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/rtAudio/include -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/tess2/include -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/utf8cpp/include -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/utf8cpp/include/utf8 -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks/3d -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks/app -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks/communication -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks/events -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks/gl -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks/graphics -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks/math -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks/sound -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks/types -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks/utils -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/libs/openFrameworks/video -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/example-bvh-parser/example-bvh-parser.xcodeproj/project.xcworkspace -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/example-bvh-parser/example-bvh-parser.xcodeproj/project.xcworkspace/xcuserdata -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/example-bvh-parser/example-bvh-parser.xcodeproj/project.xcworkspace/xcuserdata/rob.xcuserdatad -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/example-bvh-parser/example-bvh-parser.xcodeproj/xcshareddata -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/example-bvh-parser/example-bvh-parser.xcodeproj/xcshareddata/xcschemes -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/example-bvh-parser/example-bvh-parser.xcodeproj/xcuserdata -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/example-bvh-parser/example-bvh-parser.xcodeproj/xcuserdata/rob.xcuserdatad -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/example-bvh-parser/example-bvh-parser.xcodeproj/xcuserdata/rob.xcuserdatad/xcschemes -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/example-bvh-parser/src -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/src -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/bvh -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio -I/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxFakeShadowMap/src -MMD -MP -MF obj/osx/Release/src/main.d -MT obj/osx/Release/src/main.o -o obj/osx/Release/src/main.o -c /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/example-bvh-parser/src/main.cpp
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/example-bvh-parser/src/main.cpp:2:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/src/ofxAutoRiggingModel.h:3:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/skeleton.h:23:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/graphutils.h:23:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:26:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/hashutils.h:26:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../include/c++/v1/ext/hash_map:213:5: warning: Use of the header <ext/hash_map> is deprecated. Migrate to
      <unordered_map> [-W#warnings]
#   warning Use of the header <ext/hash_map> is deprecated.  Migrate to <unordered_map>
    ^
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/example-bvh-parser/src/main.cpp:2:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/src/ofxAutoRiggingModel.h:3:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/skeleton.h:23:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/graphutils.h:23:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:26:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/hashutils.h:28:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../include/c++/v1/ext/hash_set:205:5: warning: Use of the header <ext/hash_set> is deprecated. Migrate to
      <unordered_set> [-W#warnings]
#   warning Use of the header <ext/hash_set> is deprecated.  Migrate to <unordered_set>
    ^
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/src/ofxAutoRiggingModel.h:6:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/attachment.h:22:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/mesh.h:25:
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:29:7: error: redefinition of 'Rect' as different kind of symbol
class Rect {
      ^
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/usr/include/MacTypes.h:550:41: note: previous definition is here
typedef struct Rect                     Rect;
                                        ^
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/src/ofxAutoRiggingModel.h:6:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/attachment.h:22:
In file included from /Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/mesh.h:25:
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:125:22: error: expected a type
typedef Rect<double, 2> Rect2;
                     ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:125:22: error: expected '>'
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:125:22: error: expected unqualified-id
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:126:22: error: expected a type
typedef Rect<double, 3> Rect3;
                     ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:126:22: error: expected '>'
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:126:22: error: expected unqualified-id
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:129:99: error: unknown type name 'Dim'
        basic_ostream<charT,traits>& operator<<(basic_ostream<charT,traits>& os, const Rect<Real, Dim> &r)
                                                                                                  ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:131:10: error: no member named 'isEmpty' in 'Rect'
    if(r.isEmpty())
       ~ ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:134:28: error: no member named 'getLo' in 'Rect'
        os << "Rect(" << r.getLo() << ", " << r.getHi() << ")";
                         ~ ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:134:49: error: no member named 'getHi' in 'Rect'
        os << "Rect(" << r.getLo() << ", " << r.getHi() << ")";
                                              ~ ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:151:27: error: unknown type name 'D'
    static R distSq(const RRD &r, const VRD &v)
                          ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:140:21: note: expanded from macro 'RRD'
#define RRD Rect<R, D>
                    ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:162:27: error: unknown type name 'D'
    static R distSq(const RRD &r, const RRD &r2)
                          ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:140:21: note: expanded from macro 'RRD'
#define RRD Rect<R, D>
                    ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:162:41: error: unknown type name 'D'
    static R distSq(const RRD &r, const RRD &r2)
                                        ^
#define RRD Rect<R, D>
                    ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:154:7: error: no member named 'getLo' in 'Rect'
        if(r.getLo()[last] > v[last])
           ~ ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:155:25: error: no member named 'getLo' in 'Rect'
            return out + SQR(r.getLo()[last] - v[last]);
                             ~ ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:156:7: error: no member named 'getHi' in 'Rect'
        if(r.getHi()[last] < v[last])
           ~ ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:157:35: error: no member named 'getHi' in 'Rect'
            return out + SQR(v[last] - r.getHi()[last]);
                                       ~ ^
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/rect.h:165:7: error: no member named 'getLo' in 'Rect'
        if(r.getLo()[last] > r2.getHi()[last])
           ~ ^
fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]
2 warnings and 20 errors generated.
make[1]: *** [obj/osx/Release/src/main.o] Error 1
make: *** [Release] Error 2

The xcode project done with projectgenerator produces these errors:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/ext/hash_map:213:5: Use of the header <ext/hash_map> is deprecated.  Migrate to <unordered_map>
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/include/c++/v1/ext/hash_set:205:5: Use of the header <ext/hash_set> is deprecated.  Migrate to <unordered_set>

/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:42:20: 'assign' is a private member of '_VectorPrivate::VecOp<3>'
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:65:18: 'accumulate' is a private member of '_VectorPrivate::VecOp<3>'
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:54:18: 'apply' is a private member of '_VectorPrivate::VecOp<3>'
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:43:37: 'assign' is a private member of '_VectorPrivate::VecOp<3>'
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:42:20: 'assign' is a private member of '_VectorPrivate::VecOp<3>'
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:65:18: 'accumulate' is a private member of '_VectorPrivate::VecOp<3>'
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:54:18: 'apply' is a private member of '_VectorPrivate::VecOp<3>'
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:43:37: 'assign' is a private member of '_VectorPrivate::VecOp<3>'
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:47:65: 'assign' is a private member of '_VectorPrivate::VecOp<3>'
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:57:18: 'apply' is a private member of '_VectorPrivate::VecOp<3>'
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:57:18: 'apply' is a private member of '_VectorPrivate::VecOp<3>'
/Users/rob/Projects/OFDIR/of_v0.9.7_osx_release/addons/ofxAutoRiggingModel/libs/pinocchio/vector.h:57:18: 'apply' is a private memb
er of '_VectorPrivate::VecOp<3>'

Does anyone have tips or info on how to build this addon for Mac? Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

unfortunately now I can not do testing on OSX.
I have a question because I am not an expert OSX:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/usr/include/MacTypes.h:550:41: note: previous definition is here

This header defines a struct named Rect?

Hello Kashim,

Yes, MacTypes.h does indeed define a struct called Rect, you can see here.
Thank you for your efforts.

Hi @phaseIV,

I added a namespace to the class:

AutoRigging::ofxAutoRiggingModel

and:

BVHParsing::ofxBVHParser

I do not know if this solves the problem…
you can give it a try with example.

Thank you Kashim but unfortunately this doesn’t fix the compile errors. For both xcode and the make command the error messages remain the same.

My uneducated guess is that the entire pinocchio library requires its own dedicated namespace. I’d love to try and fix this myself but I wouldn’t know where to start.

if you want to make a fork, you can simply try renaming the headers that conflict,
for example: replace Rect with XXRect, if you manage to solve the problem, we can do a merge.

good day

YES! That worked, thank you Kashim. Will sort stuff out and provide changes.
Thank you again!!

I want to point out that the example bvh is still under construction,
for use 100% Pinocchio, try build: example

good day

Hi @kashim,

Thanks for your great work!

Best,
Akif.

Hi @kashim,

I am trying to use my own models to be rigged. I managed to use an “Alias WaveFront Object (.obj)” file after cleaning the duplicated vertices, filling the holes, getting rid of the colour data and simplifying by using “Surface reconstruction” tool of Meshlab. But the same procedure didn’t work for the other obj files by a result of returning 0 from the method of computePossibilities. Can you give some tips for me to understand what else should I change for the input file? How can I get a different output value from the method of “computePossibilities”?

Best,
Akif.

Hi @berberakif , sorry for long delay!

I do not remember much of this addon, I used it for a little job many years ago.
let me have one of the obj that does not work, just back in Italy I take a look at this!

Ciao
Dario