NDI Virtual Input causing issues to default Video Grabber

Just an FYI, dunno if there’s a clean fix for this, just got mighty confused when none of my oF apps were suddenly working which use the video grabber - it would ask permission as usual, but the Mac camera light wouldn’t come on and the nothing would show up. The camera was working on Photo Booth and the likes though. Eventually figured when checking for devices available, as I have installed the NDI Tools at some point earlier, the cameras show up as

[notice ] Device: 0: NDI Video
[notice ] Device: 1: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
[notice ] 0: NDI Video
[notice ] 1: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

So if not explicitly setting for the FaceTime camera, oF apps are defaulting to 0, which in this case is the NDI video input.

Not sure how to swap the devices system wide. Seems like deleting the NDI Virtual Input app doesn’t help either, still untested but, apparently the .plugin file from /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL needs to removed to remove the NDI Video virtual input.

It’s not an oF specific problem (although I wonder if there’s a way to set a default as Photo Booth doesn’t trip over this) but just an FYI in case someone else runs into this.

I think it is not that photobooth is re-ordering the inputs, but rather it does not recognise the virtual camera as an input. Quite a few softwares have some limitations on inputs (sometimes for security) that they will not accept virtual cameras as inputs. Zoom, Skype and Google meet have all gone back and forth with various versions. If you want to go back to things as you had them you will have to totally uninstall the NDI virtual camera.