Mutilple Kinect ( 3 ) ofxKinect. Mac Mini

Hi all
I’m trying to get 3 Kinects working in the same machine with Of007 ( Mac ) and with Theo’s addon (ofxKinect)
and the documentation says:

there are transfer errors using ofxKinect and 3 Kinects simultaneously. If you need to support many Kinects, you will probably need to add extra USB controllers to your machine

That’s why I’m getting the following error:

Device 2 isn’t delivering data

How i can add extra USB controllers to mine machine (Mac mini) ?
Cheers

update:
With additional generic PCI usb controller cards, this can work on a Mac Pro or PC, but with MacMini i’m not finding any additional hardware compatible.

Another point to get this setup working, If the problem is about bandwidth may be could help use a lower resolution for ofxKinect.
How i can setup ofxKinect to 320 x 240 resolution.
If not then i will change to a PC with extra USB PCI card.
Cheers

as far as i know, this is not possible on a mac mini. the kinect needs a dedicated usb hub, the mac mini only has two of them if i’m not mistaken. lower resolution won’t help either, and it is not even possible to my understanding, since the kinect only works in 640x480.

you will need another machine to add extra ports

Hi oF Kinect people!

Yes, I had to switch to a another machine (PC with windows7) with multiple USB PCI, one for each Kinect ( 1 Usb from motherboard, 1 usb from PCI usb 2.0, 1 usb from PCIE 3.0 ).

And it works, NICE! But sometimes there are problems with the Kinects…
Sometimes one of them start to figure as not working… remain off after it for a while, and needs some time ( remaining the camera OFF) to recover itself again…

Any Clue about this problem ? Anybody else had this before? Any help would be apreciated.
Cheers

Hi oF Kinect people!

Yes, I had to switch to a another machine (PC with windows7) with multiple USB PCI, one for each Kinect ( 1 Usb from motherboard, 1 usb from PCI usb 2.0, 1 usb from PCIE 3.0 ).

And it works, NICE! But sometimes there are problems with the Kinects…
Sometimes one of them start to figure as not working… remain off after it for a while, and needs some time ( remaining the camera OFF) to recover itself again…

font loaded okay!
creating PANEL_EVENT_0
OF: OF_LOG_WARNING: ofxKinect: No available devices found
Setup NUMKINECTS= 3 kinect.width= 640kinect.height= 480
OF: OF_LOG_NOTICE: ofFbo::checkGLSupport()
maxColorAttachments: 4
maxDrawBuffers: 4
maxSamples: 6
OF: OF_LOG_NOTICE: FRAMEBUFFER_COMPLETE - OK
OF: OF_LOG_ERROR: ofxGLWarper : xml file loaded OK!.
OF: OF_LOG_NOTICE: ofFbo::checkGLSupport()
maxColorAttachments: 4
maxDrawBuffers: 4
maxSamples: 6
OF: OF_LOG_NOTICE: FRAMEBUFFER_COMPLETE - OK
OF: OF_LOG_WARNING: ofxKinect: Device -1 isn’t delivering data, reconnecting tri
es: 1
OF: OF_LOG_WARNING: ofxKinect: No available devices found
[Stream 70] Expected 1748 data bytes, but got 1292
OF: OF_LOG_WARNING: ofxKinect: Device -1 isn’t delivering data, reconnecting tri
es: 2

Any Clue about this problem ? Anybody else had this before? Any help would be apreciated.
Cheers

hey folks-

I was hitting this issue with the USB bus and I was wondering if I can repurpose the Thunderbolt port on the Mac MINI. It seems 2 kinects can run ok on one bus, all I would need is another dedicated bus. Those of you who say it isn’t possible with the Mac MINI, had you considered this possibility? I see that Sonnet provides those sort of extensions… Thoughts?

any additional info re: multiple kinects is hugely appreciated!!!
thanks,
Cindy

No i Did not!
Sound great idea, can you share some links?
Cheers

There are thunderbolt extensions from both sonnet and belkin.

Sonnet
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresschassis.html
will give you PCI slots, but they work better on windows than mac- on windows pci cards plugged into these appear as PCI cards, on mac they do not and full support is not available, you have to check the sonnet site for tested cards- some require special drivers.

The belkin option
http://www.belkin.com/us/thunderbolt
is a little less pro but may work better- it gives you a lot of oter plugs too ethernet firewire another thunderbolt usb etc.

The belkin might be less fuss but you are going into untested territory, so let us know how you go.

Fred