multiple camera capturing

Hi,
I read much in this forum about the issue: How to capture multiple cameras in OF. The best idea was the one with the quad splitter.
I got a few questions to this left. I’m not really sure how to connect those splitters to a pc and the more important questions is how OF recognizes those splitters? Does anybody have some experience in setup such a device?
Thanks
David

i think it is not actually called a quad splitter but a quad multiplexer - but the idea is that you connect 4 cameras into it with standard bnc or rca cables and then it gives you one output over bnc/rca. This outputted image is regular PAL or NTSC size and you can capture it with a usb capture device at 640 480. This means that within the image you have four quadrants one for each camera at 320 240.

You would capture it with something like this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?-…-ps-sellers

Theo

i’ve tried out with a 3x Firewire input ExpressCard for a laptop and works fine …
then in of i’ve 3 videoGrabbers and it works fine, i mean you can change from one camera to the other without problems …

hope it helps …

e*

[quote author=“theo”]i think it is not actually called a quad splitter but a quad multiplexer - but the idea is that you connect 4 cameras into it with standard bnc or rca cables and then it gives you one output over bnc/rca. This outputted image is regular PAL or NTSC size and you can capture it with a usb capture device at 640 480. This means that within the image you have four quadrants one for each camera at 320 240.

You would capture it with something like this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?-…-ps-sellers

Theo[/quote]

I am interested in using a multiplexer with OF but I don’t quite get what you said about using the usb capture device. I want to use a multiplexer for say 6 or 8 cameras, how does one incorporate the multiplexer into OF real time? Your solution appears to be for saving whats captured for later rendition. Is it possible to use one for real time analysis, as if you just had a multiplexer with a USB cord could you have that loaded into OF real time? sorry for the ignorance on the subject but I am ignorant on the subject hah.

eloi, could you also display the 3 firewire inputs simultaneously?

Hi,

I’ve got 3 Unibrain fire-i cameras connected in serial via a single firewire port to work simultaneously using libdc1394. However I ran into IEEE 1394 bandwidth issues so I couldn’t display more than 3 streams at 320x240. Using a multiple input firewire capture card should solve this I imagine, although eventually disk I/O would also become a problem…