Might ave messed up install, Ubuntu 14.04?

Aye up all, Ok complete newbie alert, not coded in years :blush:

Got to the codeblocks

“Since 007 codeblocks uses makefiles…” http://openframeworks.cc/setup/linux-codeblocks/ of the install and all scripts and compile has seemed to work perfec, then realised I had done everything from the unzipped folder in /home/{user}/Downloads instead of unzipping it to /home/{user}/Desktop :blush:

Q.1- Can I or should I just move the of_v0.8.4_linux64_release folder to the Desktop or will it bugger it all up?

Q.2- Totally lost on what I am supposed to do with the rest of the info in the codeblocks section aka

“Since 007 codeblocks uses makefiles instead of it’s own configuration so if you want to add include search paths, libraries or addons to your projects check the folder config_files in the codeblocks project or in the root of your folder.There you’ll find 2 files:*
- config.make where you can add include search paths, libraries, change the optimization flags and some other configuration settings
- addons.make where you can add addons to your project. If you are using codeblocks adding a line with the name of the addon you want to use will add the necesary config to be able to use those addons but the files won’t appear in codeblocks. You can go to Project > Add files recursively and add the folder of the addons you just added in addons.make
*Again, don’t try to configure things in codeblocks through its project settings windows or add files to a project in order to compile them. Anything in your src folder will compile by default.”

Q.3 - Then even this bit in the Makefiles section ? So would it be best to go into the all the Plug-ins folders and make them so they are cooked and ready to use at any point, I assume they have to be compiled?

“You can also tell the makefile to include addons just by creating an addons.make file in the root of your project. Just put the names of the addons that you want to use in one line each and it will do the rest.”

Q.4 - Equally now lost on making a project period & where considering its all been in a term [CRTL+ALT+T] up to this point ? As opened codeblocks separately to check it existed plus chuck its Icon on the Launcher bar and it came up with a splash listing it could only see the GCC compiler or something with lots of others greyed out. Then on going in again to see if I am supposed to add the plug-ins via /Plugins/Manage Plugins within the IDE, the splash screen had varnished. Poop as could have done with to make sure I know what I am supposed to have to be able to cross-compile?

Just need things to be a bit more WYSIWYG until I get the hang of things again, honestly last time I really programmed was way back on Texas Instruments T99-4a & C64 :laughing:

Even better anyone live anywhere near Canterbury, Kent in the UK as I want to try to do fancy stuff with this a Parallella https://www.parallella.org/board/ with a ARM A9 as its main processor & Epiphany III - 16 Core RISC (my only board at mo) ? Then get it grooving with Pi or Arduino and such, expanding to create a proper Parallella cluster as virtual brain for a virtual I-Cub like augmented reality/projected hologram maybe/ cute-r more sassy virtual character, mirroring this [http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog/meet-the-real-world-designers-behind-the-fictional-video-games-of-her][3] with child friendly sass. Via the web and distributed so when anyone accesses it via there computer or device/s contribute to its brain power & an app to allow down cycles to be used when not using (OpenGL/CL & WebGL/CL. Equally trying to use the I-Cub code, if possible [http://wiki.icub.org/wiki/ICub_Software_Installation][4] )

Then getting it to break into the Real-World as much as possible, aka all I have at the moment is the Kinetic for xbox 360, ok for augmented access to real world, but then the start of a cheaper cooler open source version of I-Cub, Open Source Character Android.

I come from the tecky side of High-End Visual FX, Animation and Post, mostly hardware, render farms, setting up big systems and keeping them running in Studios/Facilities, starting out working for Avid and Ironically really did not code, mostly tweaking things & getting hardware working with software, across different OS platforms using existing tools and chucking bugs/requests to development & programming teams.

Not been working for a while first just being a mum at home, then due to disability and currently only on benefits (grrr, hate being skint, busy & working with tops creative peeps) now wanting to come back to things on this side of the water, so would pick things up easy and work so much better with a team in Real-Life if anyone could help?

Let me know and Ill break this bit out to a new topic & up for working on any projects with similar sort of objectives too.

Cheers,
Samantha (aka Karma)

Ooo the other thing I forgot is that I used to teach in my work, devise courses and do documentation & tutorials. In this instance my 1st port of call in Teaching my 11yr old Orlando all this, then doing videos, documenting and tutorials to simply the seemingly complex, mirroring the Raspbury Pi philiosphy etc, for other kids, parents & teachers out there. So wondering if there is also a possibility of setting up Kids Open Framework site, etc.

Again I will break it out to a new thread if best.

Cheers,
Samantha (aka Karma) :smiley:

Moving the folder should not have any affect, you should be good to go!

These two questions seem to be hitting on the same point, basically that in order to include an addon, all you have to do is create or edit the addons.make file in your app directory to include the name of the addon. For example if you want to use the ofxOpenCv addon in a new project, you would just create a file called addons.make in the root of your project’s directory (same location as the config.make file), with the contents:

ofxOpenCv

And thats it! you can now use any of the files in the OF_ROOT/addons/ofxOpenCv/src folder.

If you are familiar and comfortable using the terminal, you don’t really need to worry about code blocks at all. To create a new project, all you really need are the Makefile, config.make and a src directory. Usually it’s easiest to jsut duplicate the emptyExample directory and rename it to whatever you want. From there, you only need to do a few things to start building your app:

• Edit your source with a text editor. I use Sublime Text
  • Compile your app by running the command: make Release
  • Run your app by running the command: make RunRelease

Code blocks simply combines all of these things into one interface by providing a code editor, build and run buttons in the same place, as well as nice to have the extras like code completion and an integrated debugger. However, using code blocks or any IDE for that matter is completely optional at this point because the build process just relies on make.

I hope this helps! let me know if you have any more questions

Awe tar Tim, peachy your a star, Ill mull it over, fiddle with the Eclipse pathway too (also on my Win8 boot, too) and likely get back to you. As the objective was actually to have better instructions on trying to do as much as possible with an IDE as Ive been starting to teach Orlando (my 11yo) Unity 3D, well at least work through tutorials with him and he really likes the way MonoDevelop I think it is, the Coding IDE that’s integrated, colour codes things and helps him with his code and allows him to look up functions etc, etc

So this is where I was, still am getting lost a bit, just my own experience of things, is pointing to or downloading/installing SDK/API & Plug-ins within the IDE its self.