Microsoft GDI OpenGL on a Nvidia 8800

Dear all, I’m having a bit of a problem with an OF app I’ve written that I am now trying to run on some fresh machines, Mac Pros with Windows XP on them via Bootcamp.

It was developed using 0.05 in Visual Studio 2005 on on essentially the same machine (8 core instead of 4).

First up we had the “this application has failed to start” business, which I fixed by installing the Express version of VS 2005 on the machines (!). No amount of copying DLLs, manifests or running “vcredist_x86.exe” around seemed to help.

Now I’m having trouble getting the right OpenGL driver to be used, for some reason the default “Microsoft GDI OpenGL” driver is used instead of the Nvidia driver. I thought it might have something to do with the shaders, but a shader-less version still starts up with the Microsoft OpenGL driver.

GlView (http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/) runs through all the tests fine, using the NVidia driver, getting FPS just over 1000 in the tests.

I’m now downloading what I’ll need to compile the software on the machines themselves to do some debugging, but if anyone has any ideas I’m all ears.

/A

First up we had the “this application has failed to start” business, which I fixed by installing the Express version of VS 2005 on the machines (!). No amount of copying DLLs, manifests or running “vcredist_x86.exe” around seemed to help.

I had this problem recently with Visual Studio 2005, trying to run a debug version of an application on a second, non-development machine. I tried everything and nothing short of installing Visual Studio 2005 worked. Perhaps it might have been easier (at least the MSDN docs imply that it should be possible) with a Release version…but in the end I got so frustrated that I gave up. Sounds like I would need to cook up an MS installer to actually get it to work.

Regarding OpenGL…that seems really weird. Perhaps try a driver cleaning software…search around and you should find one. Otherwise try a clean install of the OS before reinstalling the latest NVIDIA drivers for that card. A proper install of the NVIDIA drivers will most definitely replace the crappy MS ones.

I’ve just tried the latest drivers and no luck.

The thing is that the Microsoft driver is something you can end up with if you try to use an unsupported feature of the card, seems it’s some sort of fallback, don’t know if you can get rid of it (will sure as hell try).

The odd thing is that this is the exact same card I programmed it all on, which I never upgraded the drivers on past the latest Bootcamp updater, which I’ve used here as well.

Driver cleaning software it is, while I download the platform SDK and DirectX SDK…

Adding these lines:

cout << "OpenGL Vendor: " << (char*) glGetString(GL_VENDOR) << "\n";  
cout << "OpenGL Renderer: " << (char*) glGetString(GL_RENDERER) << "\n";  
cout << "OpenGL Version: " << (char*) glGetString(GL_VERSION) << "\n\n";  

Into advancedGraphicsSample and they report back “GDI Generic” as the renderer on both machines, one on Nvidia 167.63 drivers (Bootcamp) and one on the latest , so something to do with the drivers then…

Andreas log, stardate: I hate computers.

The desktop was set to 16 bit color!

Setting it to 32 is now giving me the right renderer, but my app still shows up orange of all things, making some progress though.

/A

Andreas log, supplemental.

The orange-ness was caused by a missing texture!

I had forgotten to copy it over from the data folder to the bin/data folder.

/A

Wow…that’s really odd
You should be able to specify the colour bit depth when you create an opengl window…which overrides the OS values…

I’m pretty sure I ran the advancedGraphicsSample only in windowed mode, my own apps would have had the texture problem (which I figured out last of all) throughout.

With 0.06 abstracting GLUT from OF I’m very keen on making an SDL implementation though, I’ve used that for years, we’re like family now.

/A