when my application is extracted from a .zip archive it does not work anymore. Think there is something broken with the paths. It can not find the assets.
Folder containing the app looks like this:
Fun fact is that I can run the app, when I
cd into the
my.app/Contents/MacOS folder and run the
my binary directly. Then, all paths seem to be fine and assets are there…
Had this problem before but I can’t remember the solution I think it was some terminal command to run on the
.app to fix some rights, that get compromised when you zip on the Mac.
Hope you guys can help + Thank you for your time!
this is because of app translocation
from the command line you can fix it this way i think:
another simple option is to move the .app out of the zip folder and back. that action seems to remove the translocation.
my solution that I use for clients is to use a signed disk image – I use an app called DMG canvas where you can design the background for the dmg and sign it. I find that if clients move the app from the signed disk image app translocation goes away
Here’s an example of the DMG I make usually – I’ve found this to be helpful for situations where I can’t ask a client to do something like command line etc:
Thank you so much @zach
This was exactly the command I was looking for. It did fix the app!
Also thank you very much for mentioning that DMG canvas app. Used it and works like a charm – the better way to share applications.