(Mac) hardware and performance

Hi
Have encountered a performance bottleneck in an application that makes heavy use of video effects.

On my home iMac I get an acceptable 35-40 fps.

On my work iMac I get an unacceptable 5fps!!

Home iMac
Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

Work iMac
Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6770M GPU.

both 4 core single processor.

I need to confirm the GPU on the home machine…

Based on the above would it make sense that the GPU is the bottleneck?

Also, since I am deploying on a Mac mini, wonder how it will perform in comparison with my home i7 iMac

Mini specs
2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache
Intel Iris Graphics GPU

Hi there!

Your home GPU is probably the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX. Apple always uses mobile GPUs for their iMacs.

This is not 100% accurate, since Apple usually has custom made GPUs, but you can check some stats here:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX / AMD Radeon HD 6770M / Intel Iris Graphics 5100

Either way, the GeForce has, at least, 4 times the number of dedicated VRAM, Transitors and doubles the Memory Bus. So, is a huge improvement.

You should expect the results of the Intel, to be similiar to the AMD. But what and how you are doing, can have an impact. Also, the CPU.

If you’re deploying on the Mac MIni I’d strongly suggest getting the top of the line configuration. I recently did a project with a full screen camera feed and a face detection routine using CoreImage. I was using an i5 model and there was horrible lag on the video feed and was unusable. We traded up to the fastest i7 and it was fine. Not 60fps fine, but usable. Obviously, getting one for testing before deployment would be best.

cheers!