Loading an ofMoviePlayer in a thread not working correctly

Hello,

I have to load one movie every time an event happens. So, to avoid preloading all of them, I am loading them on demand. But there is a noticeable short freeze whenever a movie is loaded (I’m running this on a Raspberry Pi 3).

So I decided to load the movies in a thread using an ofThreadChannel to send it back to the main process.

The movies play fine when I’m not using threads. But with threads I get all sorts of errors and, even though the first movie still plays correctly, the next movies I load just draw a white image.

The first movie just says this:
2017-05-13 01:36:21.909551+0100 vela2017Debug[53924:9456510] video loaded at 1280 x 720 @ 25.000000 fps

The second movie says this:
2017-05-13 01:35:10.602445+0100 vela2017Debug[53882:9454172] video loaded at 1280 x 720 @
25.000000 fps
2017-05-13 01:35:10.602804+0100 vela2017Debug[53882:9454151] AVD error: Perf capability check
failed: 0xe00002be
[warning] ofAVFoundationPlayer: load(): error when creating texture cache, -6661.

The third movie starts yielding these messages on every frame:
[ error ] ofAVFoundationPlayer: initTextureCache(): error creating texture cache from image -6661.
[ error ] ofAVFoundationPlayer: initTextureCache(): error creating texture cache from image -6661.
etc…

Is it really not possible to load an ofMoviePlayer nor ofxOMXPlayer in a thread?
Or is the problem related to ofThreadChannel?

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Nuno

the video players usually create a texture and that has to be created in the main thread, the easiest is to use loadAsync() which loads the movie without interrupting the main thread

Hello @arturo, thank you so much. I hadn’t found loadAsync() which completely solves my problem in the mac. But I’ll be running the app in a Raspberry. And for some reason ofMoviePlayer is very slow in a Raspberry so I decided to use ofxOMXPlayer which unfortunately doesn’t implement loadAsync().

I already tried to load the movie without texture and only enable it in the main thread but stil l didn’t manage to make it work smoothly.

I’ll write another post asking why ofMoviePlayer is so slow in Raspberry Pi 3? With a 720p video I’m getting 2fps with ofVideoPlayer against 50fps with the ofxOMXPlayer. I hope there is a way to make it fast.

Thanks for your help!
Nuno

try using OF_PIXELS_NATIVE to set the pixel format of the video player, that avoids a series of conversions in the cpu which make the playback much faster:

player.setPixelFormat(OF_PIXELS_NATIVE);
player.loadAsync("...");

for this you’ll need to use openGL ES 2 since it needs some shaders to do the conversions that would otherwise be done in cpu, in you main.cpp, like: https://gist.github.com/arturoc/5880704601cb57b872c48385c10a1db6

I had tried OF_PIXELS_NATIVE because I read it somewhere but I believe didn’t change the main.cpp to use openGL ES 2. I’ll give it a try later today. Thanks again!

also be sure you are compiling your applications in release not debug

Oh, really? Why? Is the performance really that different? Although I was going to do it once the development was ready I didn’t think it would make much difference. Cheers for that!

Hello @arturo,

I have tried OF_PIXELS_NATIVE with openGL ES 2 and it is indeed faster… but not fast enough.

• Without your suggestion, I was getting around 2fps.
  • With your suggestion I am now getting around 15fps
  • The movie is 25fps
  • ofxOMXPlayer pulls of 50fps easily even in textured mode (which I need because I’m using alpha)

:frowning:

Do you think your suggested tweak should give me better performance than what I’m getting?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Until then I’ll have to keep on:

• using ofxOMXPlayer
  • preloading videos
  • splitting GPU/CPU memory at 512
  • not using too many because the more I use the slower it becomes

Thanks again,
Nuno