Kinect for Xbox 360 License Restriction

Do any of you have experience using Kinect in commercial installations?

For some time, I’m working on a OF application that uses OpenNi and NITE. I use ofxOpeNI addon. My base OS is Ubuntu.

So far I’ve used Kinect for Xbox 360 device, but when I read Kinect SDK licence I notice that is not allowed to use it in production instalation. You can use it only on Windows and only for application development.

What do you think?

Licenses can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/sdk-eula.aspx. In particular, I’m talking about:

Restricted Use with the Kinect for Xbox 360 Sensor. The Kinect for Xbox 360 sensor is sold subject to the terms of a Limited Warranty and Software License Agreement that permits use of the device solely in connection with an Xbox 360 or Xbox 360 S console. Notwithstanding this restriction in the Kinect for Xbox 360 sensor Limited Warranty and Software License Agreement, you may use an unmodified Kinect for Xbox 360 sensor to assist in the design, development, and testing of your Kinect for Windows Applications, subject to the terms and conditions of this agreement. All of the other terms of the Kinect for Xbox 360 Limited Warranty and Software License Agreement remain unchanged. You agree that end users of Kinect for Windows Applications are not licensed to use Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors in connection with such Kinect for Windows Applications, and that you and your distributors will not directly or indirectly assist, encourage, or enable Kinect for Windows Application end users to do so.

Its your device - you can use it however you want.

However if you want to use the official Kinect For Windows SDK - then you need a Kinect For Windows device and then it will be Windows only.

Thank you Theo for your answer. You comforted me not to give up the selected technologies.

By the way I noticed recently that PrimeSense has prepared two new cameras - Carmine 1.08 and 1.09, which will be an alternative for me.