kinect and 3d models (fbx)

Hi all,

I’ve decided to switch a project that I was working on in XNA (C#) to openFrameworks since I think the freedom and amount possible with all the addons and extras would be best for my project.
I have not used c++ before so the syntax and everything is taking some time to learn, not to mentions the libraries and headers, etc. so forgive my newbieness.

The project I am working on is basically getting a 3d model with bones which I created in maya (.fbx) and have the kinect control the limbs. Much like the following demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzem7bBAw0I
After looking around, I dont think that c++ recognizes .fbx files so was wondering which format I need to use to export the model and bone data. After doing that, how do I rig the model up to the kinect? is it something like model_bone_x = kinect_bone_x in the program?

On the program, is OpenNI the best to achieve this or would ofKinect be better?

I am limited on time for the project and am more a designer/modeller so programming takes a lot of time for me to understand so I would like to use the simplest option available.

Thanks

Hi,

After looking around, I dont think that c++ recognizes .fbx files so was wondering which format I need to use to export the model and bone data

I don’t think that .fbx is supported on the loaders that are included on the OF v007, check the following examples in your addonsExamples/3DModelLoaderExample and addonsExamples/assimpExample, this will show you how to load your models :slight_smile:

After doing that, how do I rig the model up to the kinect? is it something like model_bone_x = kinect_bone_x in the program?

You’ll get something like user.joint.position.x then you apply that into the position of the model joint and also you have to consider the rotation of the joint.

On the program, is OpenNI the best to achieve this or would ofKinect be better?

I don’t know if ofxKinect gives you the joints positions, but OpenNI does that :slight_smile:

Please read the following: link1 and link2

OpenNI (ofxOpenNI is the addon for OpenNI in openFrameworks) is the way to go for skeletal info

If you are more of a modeller you may want to try the Unity Wrapper for OpenNI
https://github.com/OpenNI/UnityWrapper

Hello “Brendan”,

Did you manage to acomplish this project?

I’m also interested in using a 3d model with ofxOpenNI.

Cheers,

Joan