karmic package

this is a temporary solution to the problems with karmic. it just have the examples that use video: grabber, player and opencv.

it will only work with karmic or with the gstreamer developer ppa packages.

doesn’t include the addons, just copy them from your old package.

it includes the gstreamer videograbber as default but you can switch back to unicap changing ofConstants,h

the install_dependencies script is updated too.

32bit: http://openframeworks.cc/files/karmic-f-…-nux.tar.gz
64bit: http://openframeworks.cc/files/karmic-f-…-x64.tar.gz

ok I got both to work, but I had to do a couple of things to get them running.

In the “Search directories->compiler” settings, it should be

../../../libs/rtAudio/include  

instead of

../../../libs/rtAudio  

Also in the project preferences in the Libraries tab I had to add the following:

gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10  
gstreamer-app-0.10  

The FMOD symbolic link needs to be fixed too for it to run:

cd libs/fmodex/lib/linux  
rm libfmodex.so  
ln -s libfmodex-4.22.00.so libfmodex.so  

I had some problems with libudev in the libraries sections, it wasn’t finding it…so I played around with some stuff and eventually got it working, not sure what the issue was.

Any idea when this code will get merged into the official OF release?

Thanks!

oh, yes the udev stuff substitutes hal to find the cameras as hal is now deprecated. you need to install libudev:

apt-get install libudev-dev

i thought it was in the install_dependencies script already

couldn’t try the 32bits version so i suppose i forgot to change some settings.

don’t know when is this going to be in the core, i will try to have it for 0061 but right now there’s no suppport for firewire devices with gstreamer.

tried this on 32bit karmic and get the following error while compiling:

error: RTAudio.h: No such file or directory|  

tried to compile RTAudio on my own but don’t get it working.

benben, if you read my post above it explains how to fix this.

fi forgot to mention that i tried this before, but doesn’t work for me.
are you on codeblocks?

i copied the path to settings -> compiler and debugger -> search directories -> compiler

right?

i just tried to compile rtaudio on my own because everytime oF needs a lib i just seachred for it with locate and found it somewhere in /usr/include/. i don’t noticed that rtaudio is served with the oF package.

/edit/
i just changed the path in the codeblocks project file from

<Add directory="../../../libs/rtAudio" />  

to

<Add directory="../../../libs/rtAudio/include" />  

now it works without changing anything within codeblocks, but there is a new error:

/usr/bin/ld:../../../libs/fmodex/lib/linux/libfmodex.so: file format not recognized; treating as linker script  
/usr/bin/ld:../../../libs/fmodex/lib/linux/libfmodex.so:1: syntax error  
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status  

Yes I am on codeblocks and yes the path should indeed be modified here:

settings -> compiler and debugger -> search directories -> compiler

or you can open up the codeblocks project and edit the XML directly, both achieve the same result.

Regarding the FMOD error, I forgot to mention that, I will amend my previous post -
The symbolic link in arturo’s example isn’t working, so you need to delete it and recreate the link.

Open up a terminal window and surf to your OF directory. Then do the following:

cd libs/fmodex/lib/linux  
rm libfmodex.so  

This should recreate the symbolic link to the fmodex library. Alternatively you could just rename libfmodex-4.22.00.so to libfmodex.so.

Let me know if this helps!

yeh, this works. now it compiles fine. thanks.

but there is another problem:

when i compile the app, it copies the fmodex files in a libs folder in the app’s bin path under e.g. moviegrabber/bin/libs and the softlink is destroyed. i have to to the “ln -s libfmodex-4.22.00.so libfmodex.so” command in there too to get it working to start via console. i don’t need this to start the app via codeblocks.
moviePlayerExample has exactly the same problems, no both examples works on Karmic 32bit ! (…but my capture device still not :frowning: )

After downloading the 64bit version, I ran the install_dependencies.sh, then install_codeblocks.sh. Codeblocks works now, thanks!

However, upon opening the movie grabber example in code blocks I get this message:

Found following issues with libraries:

Didn’t found configuration for libraries:
* gstreamer-0.10 * gstreamer-app-0.10 * gstreamer-base-0.10 * gstreamer-video-0.10 * libavcodec * libavformat * libavutil * libswscale * libudev
Would you like to go to detection dialog ?

These libraries seem to be the ones that were in the dependencies script, I just double checked and they are all installed. I’m going to try rebooting.

hi tim!

you just have to do what grimus wrote in his first post in this thread. if there is something else not found you can search for it with e.g.

locate libavformat.h  

then copy the path to codeblocks like grimus metioned it in his last post in this thread. or edit the codeblocks projectfile.
if locate doesn’t found anything but you have run the dependencies script, just do a

sudo updatedb  

before using the locate command.

i don’t know what it is, but now i get the same errors like tim.
i use a live karmic cd to test everything and today nothing works. codeblocks does this error tim mentioned and relinking all the libs by hand doesn’t work, too. now i’m very confused :frowning:

the last days downloading, starting the two scripts and fixing the things mentioned in this thread did it, but now i get many errors, because of the missing libs in codeblocks.

@grimus: can you please upload you working cbp with all the fixes?

Here are the movie player and move grabber examples as codeblocks projects…hope this is what you want. This is for 32-bit by the way…

ofGst_karmic_examples.zip

hey pierre thanks, haven’t had the oportunity to get a 32bit version to change that ones.

the libraries errors are because the pkg-config setup has some error. try:

pkg-config --list-all

and you’ll get an error at the end of the listing telling some package has dependencies with some missing package. in my install it was libdrm so to install it:

sudo apt-get install libdrm-dev

and that will solve the problem.

yeah that helped arturo.

i packed all the things together and fixed all the problems mentioned here and in the other thread.

here is the package for karmic 32bit:

http://85.25.67.150/fixed-of-preRelease-…-nux.tar.gz

it should install everything fine and compile all 3 examples without doing anything than the two install scripts.
only after compiling movieplayer and grabber, you should do:

rm libfmodex.so  

in the e.g. movieplayer/bin/libs folder. (don’t know how to fix this error?)
and you must change the rights from the clicktolaunch_debug script, so that you can run it from the console.

i tested this with a fresh and clean livecd karmic 32bit.

hope this helps someone. :slight_smile:

Still not working for me. :frowning:

yeah, because i think, you still use the broken wx libs.

Oolong, please post your errors/problems so that we can help you. If you follow the instructions step-by-step you will get it working.

Thanks arturo. If I didn’t think I’d already followed all the instructions offered, step-by-step, I wouldn’t have just posted that it still wasn’t working for me! My error was still the same

codeblocks: relocation error: /usr/lib/libcodeblocks.so.0: symbol _Z18wxSafeConvertWX2MBPKw, version WXU_2.8 not defined in file libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0 with link time reference  

…but anyway, this is academic now - I followed maiatoday’s suggestion of forcing the version of libwxbase2.8-0 to use the Karmic repository rather than Jaunty, and that’s fixed me right up.

[quote author=“arturo”]hey pierre thanks, haven’t had the oportunity to get a 32bit version to change that ones.

the libraries errors are because the pkg-config setup has some error. try:

pkg-config --list-all

and you’ll get an error at the end of the listing telling some package has dependencies with some missing package. in my install it was libdrm so to install it:

sudo apt-get install libdrm-dev

and that will solve the problem.[/quote]

Thanks arturo, this worked for me on karmic 64 bit

i packed up all the things at fixed all errors.

now the examples should compile out of the box on a fresh karmic install. be sure to remove all earlier installs and packages from the install scripts before running this one.

just run the two scripts in scripts/linux/ubuntu

sudo ./install_codeblocks.sh  
sudo ./install_dependencies.sh  

included examples: opencv, movieplayer, moviegrabber

32bit: http://85.25.67.150/fixed-of-preRelease-…-nux.tar.gz
64bit: http://85.25.67.150/fixed-of-preRelease-…-x64.tar.gz

enjoy!