Its just not working and I'm not sure why!

I’m using visual studio 2008 and I’m trying to compile and use one of the addons and its not working. what’s the deal with the Addons.h is that obsolete?

I can run one of the examples but I can seem to create a new project and use the framework and I have no idea perhaps I should just open one of the examples and modify it. This makes me mad I’ve been all day on this crap and I still don’t even know what the problem might be. Anyone having trouble with the ADDONS in version .06? Any one have some type of general guidelines for setting up the project and using the addons???

sorry it’s a strugle… I just check and it looks like VS shipped with out a readme file :frowning: sorry about that…

you can make a new project by:

a) copying a folder and keeping at at the same depth as the examples, ie:

copy

OF/apps/examples/emptyExample

to

OF/apps/myExamples/foobar

the most important thing is the depth, *since* Of works by including and linking locally, ie:

…/…/…/

b) rename the .vcproj file, the user file and and .sln

c) rename the project on the inside of the “vcproj” file, ie here:

<VisualStudioProject  
	ProjectType="Visual C++"  
	Version="9.00"  
	Name="emptyExample"  
	ProjectGUID="{7FD42DF7-442E-479A-BA76-D0022F99702A}"  
	RootNamespace="emptyExample"  

to

<VisualStudioProject  
	ProjectType="Visual C++"  
	Version="9.00"  
	Name="foobar"  
	ProjectGUID="{7FD42DF7-442E-479A-BA76-D0022F99702A}"  
	RootNamespace="foobar"  

d) rename on the inside of the sln (if you want to use it):

Project("{8BC9CEB8-8B4A-11D0-8D11-00A0C91BC942}") = "emptyExample", "emptyExample.vcproj", "{7FD42DF7-442E-479A-BA76-D0022F99702A}"  

to

Project("{8BC9CEB8-8B4A-11D0-8D11-00A0C91BC942}") = "foobar", "foobar.vcproj", "{7FD42DF7-442E-479A-BA76-D0022F99702A}"  

a is the most important and then b, you can skip c and d, but they help make it easier to see if you have more then one project open in visual studio.

about addons, you can also duplicate any of the addons examples, which contain extra includes / src and linking per project.

in the future, we should have more scripts / wizards available to automate this process.

take care!
zach

Ps: addons.h is *deprecated* as of 0.06 but old code should still work.

1 Like

Thanks for the howto Zach.
Sure beats implementing each project in the emptyExample project files.
I used subversion and created branches for separate projects.
It worked, but this is cleaner.