Issues with capturing a remote video stream

Hello, I’m developing a program on OpenFrameworks on Windows 8 to capture and play an RTSP remote video stream.

I have no access to the actual stream yet, so I’m testing the program by streaming an H.264 video with VLC. I’ve opened another VLC instance on a remote computer and the VLC stream works fine, so the issue must be on the OF program.

Since the program isn’t working, I’ve tried both RTSP and HTTP. The respective addresses are:

streamRtspUrl = "rtsp://localhost:8554/video_address";
streamHttpUrl = "http://localhost:8080/video_address";

First I tried by loading an ofVideoPlayer with “vidPlayer.loadMovie ()” with either address.

With RTSP, the OF program prints that the vidPlayer has loaded, but then it freezes (white window, loading cursor, no exceptions).

With HTTP, the OF program returns an error:

"createMovieFromURL(): couldn't load url "http://localhost:8080/video_address": eOSERR -2048"

, and shows nothing (grey screen, arrow cursor).

Therefore, my second try was to install the Arturo’s ofGstVideoPlayer. So before loading the video stream I added:

vidPlayer.setPlayer (ofPtr <ofGstVideoPlayer> (new ofGstVideoPlayer));

With HTTP, the OF program prints that the vidPlayer has loaded and plays the video. If I reload the program, it plays the video again.

But if I restart the stream and reload the program, it prints that the vidPlayer has loaded, but then it shows nothing (grey screen, arrow cursor), and after a few secons it throws an exception at some GStreamer hidden funcion called “feeefeee()”.

With RTSP, the OF program prints that the vidPlayer has loaded and plays the video. But if I reload the program, it prints that the vidPlayer has loaded, then prints several errors:

"GStream-CRITICAL **: gst_segment_clip: assertion 'segment -> format == format' failed"

, and shows nothing (grey screen, arrow cursor). Also, if I reload the stream, the same issue happens. The program only starts playing again when I recompile it.

So I’m baffled that there’s so many different use cases with this ofVideoPlayer. Any idea of what is happening? Is it an issue with my program or with the addons? Thanks!

@arturo Hello, I’m having an issue with the ofGStreamer and ofGstVideoPlayer. Can you help me? Thanks!

what platform are you using? also try using the nightly builds if you are still using 0.8.4 there’s several fixes there that probably solve your problem

I’m using OF 0.8.4 for Visual Studio on Windows 8.1 Pro. My computer has 12 GB RAM,
AMD Phenom II X6 processor, and AMD Radeon HD 5800 graphics card.

I’ll try the nightly build. Thanks!

Hello, Arturo! I downloaded the Visual Studio 2015 RC, the June 17 OF nightly build, and compiled the demo project with the line:

player.setPlayer (ofPtr <ofGstVideoPlayer> (new ofGstVideoPlayer));.

When I first run the program with an RTSP video stream, it prints an error:

ofGstUtils: gestHandleMessage(): embedded video playback halted for plugin, modukle source reported: No supported stream was found. You might need to allow more transport protocols or may otherwise be missing the right GTStreamer RTSP extension plugin.

, and shows nothing in the window (grey background, no exceptions).

If I run the program a second time, it prints the old error several times:

GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_segment_clip: assertion 'segment->format == format' failed

, and also shows a grey background in the window.

If I run the program again, it prints this second error again. The first error only appears again when I recompile the program.

Any other suggestions?

@arturo, now I’ve also tried the Visual Studio 2015 RC and June 17 OF nightly build with the original video player, that is without the “setPlayer (ofGstVideoPlayer)” line.

It prints an error “Error ocurred while playing or pausing or opening the file”, and shows a grey background.

If I reload the program, it shows the same error