Is the xbox one kinect still worth getting?

howdy,

as the title says, im looking at xbox one kinects - I had worked with the original years ago when they were around like malaria.
but now im looking at cameras to use with openFrameworks & other projects & was wondering whether it would be worth getting an xbox one kinect & if its still being developed to work in oF, along with a macOS system.
if not. are there any good alternatives?

ive seen kinect 2s up for around £30, which is pretty damn great. but just wondering if it is worth it.

thanks

Personally I find the Kinect v1 is the best all round depth camera for your money.

I would only use the Xbox One Kinect (v2) if I needed the higher quality color stream or the sightly better depth accuracy in the near range 0.5 - 2m.

They are a pain to run long distances.

All the other depth cameras are either similar or worse than the v1.

I might go with an Orbecc camera only because they have a real API but it’s basically the same as a v1.

https://mobile.twitter.com/theowatson/status/682599568463261696?lang=en

I would probably pick up a Kinect v2 for 30 pounds. But I’d probably would buy some v1s as well

Hope that’s helpful!

Theo

2 Likes

I’ve been buying Kinect 1 (model 1414) as trade-in stock from game shops super-cheap by the box load. Usually £10-20 each, depending on whether they have power supplies or not. Kinect 2 at similar prices… if you get a Kinect 1414 without power supply you can get new old stock power supplies from E-Bay but they are around £30 each… or they are super easy to make battery powered…

1 Like

It’s quite nice, get it (not malaria)

1 Like

I’ve seen kinect 1s for around £8 with power adapter. but in reality it would be nicer to have a greater resolution as well. I can then use it for other things, even as a webcam type thing.

so I think a kinect v2 is on my list now. shame that the adapter is near as expensive as the actual kinect. weird. but really its still cheaper than many other things on offer

thanks folks

1 Like

For me one advantage of the v2 is that it takes sunlight much much better than the v1

@pandereto - interested by this - is this inherent in the difference from structured light IR to time of flight or something else? I’ve been hacking kinect 1414s to make volumetric stills cameras for street photography (and using the occipital which is also structured light) and pretty much everything ends up being at night or at sunset…
how much of a difference is there?

@danb I can not tell you the technical reason but is a fact that with a v1 you do not get a depth map outdoor and with a v2 you get. Maybe with lots of direct sunlight you get holes and artifacts in the depth map but there is info.

I used v2 in outdoor installations with sunlight and im happy with the result, i create people contours using this camera and it has been working great.

However i do not tested skeleton tracking but i think it will not work…

1 Like