Is oF working fine with Xcode 4?

I’m eager to leap into the single-window world of Xcode 4, but I want to make sure nothing is going to break first.

Has anyone been using oF with the new Xcode preview?

Well it seems alright so far :smiley:

Apple says: (release notes)

“Xcode 4 Developer Preview 2 is installed by default into the /Xcode4 directory and does not conflict with an existing installation of Xcode 3.2.”

and
_
“Xcode 4 reads and builds projects created in Xcode 2.1 through 3.2.3. Projects created with Xcode 4 can be opened and built on Xcode 3.2 through 3.2.3.
Opening and building a project in Xcode 4 does not upgrade or alter it. Changes you make to a project in Xcode 4 are compatible with earlier versions of Xcode.”_

that sounds good, doesn’t it?

Just checked out the Xcode 4 features - looks great - downloading the preview version now… will let you know how it goes with my OF projects.

Looking forward to getting my own Subversion-controlled projects in the same project as the main OF git-controlled sources…

Hmmm… some issues with Preview 2, I’d say it’s a bit too early to upgrade yet.

i’m finding xcode 4’s a huge improvement over xcode 3.
much cleaner, more organised. less confusion. (are they synonyms?)

however. it crashes all the time
and i cant get it to build apps onto my iPad
it works fine with the simulator. but i’m getting the following error when trying to build directly to the device:

No architectures to compile for (ONLY_ACTIVE_ARCH=YES, active arch=armv7, VALID_ARCHS=i386 ppc ppc64 ppc7400 ppc970 x86_64)  

Before on Xcode 3, i had a similar problem when trying to build for the simulator. The simple workaround was to build for the device first, then just debug in the simulator. (there’s 2 seperate SDKs for simulator and device, so i guess it was locked on device before).
but now it seems to be locked on simulator.
Going into project and target settings, both are set to iOS device 3.2, so i can’t see what the issue is.

Anybody seen anything similar?

Thankfully, the projects are backwards compatible so i can still get them onto the device using Xcode 3.

Dunno if it’s also too early to discuss the specifics yet…

iOS SDK 4.1 beta 2, iOS 4.1 beta 2, and Xcode 4 developer preview are pre-release software and are considered Apple Confidential Information.

…?

@gwydion I think it is in fact covered by NDA so we can’t talk specifics.

@elliotwoods I’ve had that problem before too, but I find that if you just switch between release settings, simulator or device, etc, a few times, it clears it up.

I’d really recommend against switching to xcode4 at the moment (unless you’re crazy up on engineering). It’s pretty awesome in a lot of ways, but having a compiler that doesn’t always work properly is one of the more nightmare things in this world.

Is this really the case? I just downloaded of iphone, opened iPhoneAudioInputExample, followed these instructions to the letter:

http://www.openframeworks.cc/setup/iphone

(although some steps were not possible, like info.plist not being in the data folder)

then tried to target iOS 4.0 and compilation failed as for above user, with:

No architectures to compile for (ONLY_ACTIVE_ARCH=YES, active arch=armv6, VALID_ARCHS=i386 ppc ppc64 ppc7400 ppc970 x86_64).

iPhoneAudioInputExample works on iOS 4.1 simulator just fine however…anyone give me a hint as to where the setup might be going wrong?

Hi pland,

That kind of error is something I see quite often when building the OF example projects for the first time without having gone into the project and app build configurations and updated the Base SDK settings to match the SDK I’m currently using.

But that’s something I get with Xcode 3 anyway… is your error only happening in in Xcode 4 (and it was ok in Xcode 3)?

[quote author=“Gwydion”]
That kind of error is something I see quite often when building the OF example projects for the first time without having gone into the project and app build configurations and updated the Base SDK settings to match the SDK I’m currently using.
But that’s something I get with Xcode 3 anyway… is your error only happening in in Xcode 4 (and it was ok in Xcode 3)?[/quote]

I played with the SDK target settings for quite a while, and whilst they build fine for simulator targets, neither of the device sdk targets I can muster (3.2, 4.0, 4.1) are working, and fail with the error above.

I just downloaded xcode 3.0, to see if bulding examples with it will work, but just how to install in parallel to xcode 4.0…is it even possible? the package installer looks like it will wipe and install, not install besides the previous one.

In any case, does anyone know -why- the arch error comes up? Could it be something we could fix and commit to git as a patch? Is it a bad xcode 4.0 compiler problem?

[quote author=“Gwydion”]
But that’s something I get with Xcode 3 anyway… is your error only happening in in Xcode 4 (and it was ok in Xcode 3)?[/quote]

I played with the SDK target settings for quite a while, and whilst they build fine for simulator targets, neither of the device sdk targets I can muster (3.2, 4.0, 4.1) are working, and fail with the error above.

I just downloaded xcode 3.0, to see if bulding examples with it will work, but just how to install in parallel to xcode 4.0…is it even possible? the package installer looks like it will wipe and install, not install besides the previous one.

In any case, does anyone know -why- the arch error comes up? Could it be something we could fix and commit to git as a patch? Is it a bad xcode 4.0 compiler problem?

[quote author=“pland”][quote author=“Gwydion”]
?[/quote][/quote]

For reference, here’s a note from the xcode installer:

"There can be only one, newest set of System Tools per Mac OS X installation at a time, and are always installed into /Developer on the boot volume. "

So, er, nope I can’t have both 3.0 and 4.0 installed…

Not sure how to proceed here…really want to try the examples, but not sure downgrading all of xcode is such a great idea…

[quote author=“pland”]
Not sure how to proceed here…really want to try the examples, but not sure downgrading all of xcode is such a great idea…[/quote]

Well, just for thread completeness, I downgraded successfully to xcode 3.09, and the examples now compile and install fine on an iphone running iOS 4.1…so I guess we need to stay away from xcode 4.0 for now…