Interactive Wall of Spirituality @Atlanta World Congress Ctr

http://vimeo.com/13205055

Direct Vimeo link: http://www.vimeo.com/13205055

This project illustrates Christian spirituality. Participants reach up to the light to ‘connect’ with God. The light can also be shared as shown in the picture above. If you don’t stay connected, the thorns–which represent evil–will attach to the body from below. More symbolic descriptions are explained here. It was shown at the Georgia World Congress Center for a Seventh-day Adventist world church meeting that happens every 5 years. This wall was shown as part of Southern-Adventist-University’s booth in the exhibition hall. There were more than 65,000 people from around the world that attended this event.

I had some talented students help me with this project as well as the help of the OpenFrameworks community–without my students and OpenFrameworks, this project wouldn’t have materialized like it did.

As part of my appreciation to the community I would like to open source the code, but at this point I haven’t received the green light. Perhaps I haven’t provided enough benefits for the University to consider open sourcing this. If you could post why open-sourcing is the way to go for everyone that creates projects like this, I could then pass that information on to them. Some new code samples that I think you all will enjoy is a location aware sound mixing app with 8 speakers, warping correction for curved surfaces using multi-projector setups, a slick custom GUI, particle effects, and much more.

Edit: the exhibit showed from June 24 - July 3, 2010.

Super interesting experience … very nice concept and inmersive visual effects.

Great job. Would love to see even some snippets of the code involved in this.

Really good project. Thanks for posting, I would also love to interact with it.

Hi Ken,

regarding justification to open sourcing parts of the code - generally (and this applies to a lot of open source projects), if there is no compulsion on behalf of the license you don’t have to release your source code. However I think that there is also an unspoken code which states that if you benefit greatly from an open source product, then there is a moral obligation to contribute back to that open source project/community somehow. How you contribute is often personal and project dependent. In the case of OF, releasing some of your source code as addons would be a great place to start. Of course, this is not required…just welcomed :slight_smile:

@grimus: I understand what you are saying here… if I had complete ownership of the code I would create a lot of addons (which I think would be more helpful than dumping the whole project code), but the university owns the code and I can’t publish things without their consent. So I’m looking for convincing reasons that a University might want to release the code. Here are some that I’ve given to them:

open-sourcing may

* help them maintain their code for free,
* give them more advertising,
* and contribute to the knowledge out there.

What other beneficial reasons could I give?

Open sourcing code is also an act of “education”, which is what universities are meant to promote I suppose. People learn from open sourced code.

I think of it as promotion/advertising as you say. To be honest, whenever I stumble across university released code that is valuable, it generally develops in me a sense of respect for that institution as a genuine place of higher learning.

Unfortunately people will still see software as a product, and some universities are these days running more like businesses than places of learning, so I can totally understand if its difficult for you to release the code. It often depends on the nature of the individuals in office and whether they understand the value of open source.

Alright, just got the green light to open-source parts of the project! So I’ll be working on that with blainer_s and others to get this done. I’m pretty busy with school starting at the end of this month, but I’ll try to squeeze in time after that.

Great news! Looking forward to it.