Installation issues - complete noob

Okay I know I’m trying to walk before I can run, but I want to be able to cross compile to RPi and play with openCV.

As a first project, I know that’s a little ambitious, however I have a specific project in mind and want to start learning the right tools for the project I have in mind later on. openFrameworks seems to be the right thing, but I can’t even install it on my Pi.

I used the instructions here http://www.openframeworks.cc/setup/raspberrypi/Raspberry-Pi-Getting-Started.html but almost every stage has been met with problems. The Pi, while happily connected to the internet, doesn’t seem to download the files. It thinks it’s downloaded a HTML file, not a tar gz archive, so it won’t unzip it: > curl -O http://www.openframeworks.cc/versions/v0.8.0/of_v0.8.0_linuxarmv6l_release.tar.gz

So I DL’ed it on a different machine, unzipped it and SSH’ed it onto the pi. Of course this removes the command line arguments from the original terminal command; > tar vxfz of_v0.8.0_linuxarmv6l_release.tar.gz -C openFrameworks --strip-components 1

Then the next bit; > cd /home/pi/openFrameworks/scripts/linux/debian_armv6l

#<okay, no problem there>

sudo ./install_dependencies.sh

But this last line is where the wheels finally fall off. They won’t install.I just get ‘command not found’. I know I’m such a noob, but I thought the install process would at least be a little easier than this.

I believe all the paths are correct from the install tutorial, so I don’t know if I need to install something else to my Pi to make the dependencies command work, or what.

Many thanks

Markus

hi @Stonius which os are you using? Wheezy or another? if you

sudo apt-get update

what you get in a console?

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, I’m in wheezy on type B board, SSH in using putty from windows 7 64 machine.

When I update I get a list of URLs, some of which are hit, some are ignore (about 60/40%). At the end it says ‘reading package lists…done’ then returns me to the prompt.

Does that help?

Cheers

Markus

BTW, I’ve updated/upgraded several times in the past too. Do you need to do each time after you install a new package, or just every few months or so?

At least we know apt-get is working, but maybe it is simple: for some unknown reasons install_dependencies.sh is not executable, you can make it executable with chmod.

it should be:

chmod +x install_dependencies.sh

That was it! You rock, Kalwalt!

Cheers

Markus

1 Like

Nice that it does the job, sometimes this happens to me too! i usually check the scripts before to run them…