Install notes and not following instructions

I can compile and install OF on my devices now just fine, but am posting to add what I hope are constructive remarks.

1. Pre-release downloads

I guess the site has been in flux, but I finally just went with a git clone. That is easy enough, would save some time perhaps for packagers, but could be perhaps okay for beginning users to just use that? I just could not find a download with the Android code yesterday.

1. Eclipse major revision

I had used H but screenshots were G … probably doesn’t matter and G works for me.

1. Can be good to compile libs first before examples.

2. Was thinking I need to find how to set make -j 6 or similar or an ideal spot for that.

3. Could be worth noting that removing all code from the project and re-adding does fix errors from not importing in the correct order.

4. Do not copy files into the project … it screws up hardcoded paths.

5. Device capabilities are not trapped.

6. Applications are launched on install.

7. Root adb permissions can be fixed with research regarding udev.

8. Could be nice to just have the build commands documented or where to find it for using whatever other editor.

So some random things plus my own learning - hope it helps!

[quote=“th0ma5, post:1, topic:5919”]
I can compile and install OF on my devices now just fine, but am posting to add what I hope are constructive remarks.

1. Pre-release downloads

I guess the site has been in flux, but I finally just went with a git clone. That is easy enough, would save some time perhaps for packagers, but could be perhaps okay for beginning users to just use that? I just could not find a download with the Android code yesterday. [/quote]

yes, we haven’t released a package yet since this is a pre release of 007 i’ve been meaning to generate a pre-release 0069 package but have been super busy : )

1. Eclipse major revision

I had used H but screenshots were G … probably doesn’t matter and G works for me.

Some of the screenshots were done a while ago, but you should be using Helios

1. Can be good to compile libs first before examples.

There should be dependencies, aren’t they working? i’ll check

1. Was thinking I need to find how to set make -j 6 or similar or an ideal spot for that.

You can set parallel builds in the eclipse config options under c/c++ > behaviour. but it was making it crash in some computers so i deactivated it

1. Could be worth noting that removing all code from the project and re-adding does fix errors from not importing in the correct order.

errors that are still there after a recompiling in dependent projects like libs and addons are not really important and you can delete them from the problems tab, i’ll add it to the docs

1. Do not copy files into the project … it screws up hardcoded paths.
  1. Device capabilities are not trapped.

what do you mean?

1. Applications are launched on install.

yes that’s how it works with original eclipse plugin is like build and run in other compilers, probably if you’re developing and installing an app is because you want to test it so i think is useful that it also runs the app

1. Root adb permissions can be fixed with research regarding udev.

yes i added this to the docs some days ago : )

1. Could be nice to just have the build commands documented or where to find it for using whatever other editor.

yep, good idea. thanks very much for the feedback

1. I will switch back to Helios… some attempts by me to figure out things, or isolate where the issue was.

2. This was perhaps a silly thing… just to hit compile on everything including the android addon, but short of the examples, just to help isolate any issues.

4,5,6,7 … sort of related to 3, but my issues were several and mostly due to thinking I knew better incorrectly:
a. i had misplaced the ndk
b. i kept suspecting that I had done something wrong, so I was cleaning the workspace and restarting eclipse
c. in the import screen i had selected “copy files into project” from the various options. this breaks because openFrameworksCompiled is a relative path, but that folder isn’t listed as required for import, and I guess I could’ve imported it, but in the dash for a working build I dare not break it further, so I was trying to do the bare minimum correct thing to get going. This is probably an in-flight or just personal opinions about exactly want one is trying and wanting to do, so my mistake really.

I think most of it was hubris having messed with Eclipse but never the C version, but it wasn’t long and I learned a lot along the way.

Thank you so much for the reply, the project is all insanely great.