./install_dependencies wants to remove jack2 and friends

hi all, i’m a happy camper with jack2, today when trying to get the oF dependencies i was about to remove it since it seems not to be suppported by oF.

i guess i will be missing some firewire and jack plug-ability but will like to understand if there are workarounds and what exactly is there to loose if i don’t use jack1?

tx!

jack is used by portaudio, you could try to substitute it with jack2 by editing the install_dependencies script or install it after the script run. actually i thought that we were already compiling against jack2.

if that doesn’t work you can try to recompile portaudio with jack2 instead of jack1 or just deleting the folder from libs and try to use portaudio from the repositories

A lot of software still uses Jack1 I think, and I found Jack2 to be unstable when I last used it, but that was a little while ago.

I don’t think we’re compiling against Jack2, so if you want it you’ll have to do as Arturo suggests.

Actually, this is a problem - I just ran into this today as well.

Installing other software that relied on jack2 uninstalled jack1 which then caused my OF app compilation to fail. I then ran ./install_dependencies and got the following:

The following packages will be REMOVED:  
  acroread gstreamer0.10-plugins-good:i386 ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386  
  libjack-jackd2-0 libjack-jackd2-0:i386 libjack-jackd2-dev pdfstudio7demo skype  
The following NEW packages will be installed:  
  libjack-dev libjack0  

So I downloaded the latest stable release of portaudio from here:
http://www.portaudio.com/download.html

Make sure you have the jack2 dev package:

sudo apt-get install libjack-jackd2-dev  

Extract the files, then from the command line, cd to the directory and configure it with the following command:

./configure --prefix="/home/grimus/Desktop/portaudio/build" --with-alsa --with-oss --with-jack  

Replace the --prefix directory with wherever you want to install the lib files. I’m deciding to install the library locally, in the build folder. Then do the usual:

make && make install  

You should then find the libportaudio.a file in the portaudio/build/lib folder.
Copy this to the OF_ROOT/libs/portaudio/lib/linux(64) folder.

Voila!

thanks pierre! will try to include the new portaudio for the next release then