If this is beginners....i need help!

I work for a video company in London and regularly create video projects in After effects and Final Cut Pro. I understand Video in that dimension.

Having been introduced to, and wowed by the nature of projects that are being undertaken with OF i’m keen to learn what i can to in order to attempt using OF in future projects here.

However! I dont know C++, infact i’ve never learnt any kind of language before. I’m currently searching out tutorials and reference material to work through. Has anyone started from such a completely blank canvas? Do you have any pointers/references you can recommend that would be of use. Just how high is the mounting i’m trying to climb?

I’ve downloaded the C++ in 5 Days document as recommended in the wiki as a jumping off point, which i will work through for starters. Any further suggestions would be gratefully received!

Rich

Nobody likes a beginner that wont help themselves! After more digging around, particularly in the resources forum i’ve got a good pile of tutorials to keep me reading for a few days (okay, weeks!)

So i guess what im after is: Just how realistic am i being in attempting to learn C++ from scratch with the intent of putting it to good use with OF?

Regards

Rich

Hi Rich,

Don’t be put off. I actually found the C++ in 5 days a bit tricky but I am sure its great.

oF comes with loads of examples that are really great and easy to modify.

I am just working through this book which is great for more general C++.

http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-5th-S-…-196&sr=8-1

As with all these things I find its normally best to have something you want to achieve with the software… try and do it… ask a few questions and have fun.

I think you should put openFrameworks to good use before you try and learn everything about C++ otherwise you could turn into a pretty boring guy.

Hope that is of some help.

Cheers

Simon

There is also the Programming Interactivity book that just came out:

First book to feature tutorials and guides on using openFrameworks.
Plus it covers Processing too which is another great creative coding tool!

Written by the forum’s very own Joshua Noble :slight_smile:

Programming Interactivity
A Designer’s Guide to Processing, Arduino, and openFrameworks
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596154141/

Cheers Guys

love the bit:

I think you should put openFrameworks to good use before you try and learn everything about C++ otherwise you could turn into a pretty boring guy.

I think you’re onto something there. I’ve found myself very confused with the reading on purely C++. Will start messing around with the demo’s and see how far i get. Good to know it doesn’t sound like a completely unfeasible project.

Thanks for book links too. Can’t beat a bit of proper book learning. Will give them a whirl

Regards

Rich