How to specify external libraries?

Hi! I’ve been trying my first OF application from scratch, on Windows and under Code::Blocks.

I managed to make it work after copying the .dlls from one of the examples into the bin folder. Is this the proper solution? Shouldn’t there be an option to tell the IDE to get the DLLs from some place and copy them or link them statically?

I know this isn’t strictly about OF, but I’d appreciate a hint about this being the expected thing to do and all (especially because I found no ‘official’ source of those dlls, only for .libs and .as). Should one build the dlls?

Thanks for any insight.

[quote author=“koide”]Hi! I’ve been trying my first OF application from scratch, on Windows and under Code::Blocks.

I managed to make it work after copying the .dlls from one of the examples into the bin folder. Is this the proper solution? Shouldn’t there be an option to tell the IDE to get the DLLs from some place and copy them or link them statically?

I know this isn’t strictly about OF, but I’d appreciate a hint about this being the expected thing to do and all (especially because I found no ‘official’ source of those dlls, only for .libs and .as). Should one build the dlls?

Thanks for any insight.[/quote]

usually, yeah, manually copying is the way this is done. if you’re making a ‘proper’ windows application, you’d include the dll’s in the installer package, and the installer would put them in c:/windows/system32. but a perfectly acceptable alternative is to have the dll’s in the same directory as the executable.

for external libs, you’ll sometimes have to compile the dll’s yourself, which is not so much fun. but as long as you’re just using libs distributed with openFrameworks, there should be dll’s already built you can copy around.