How to make a glowing sphere?

I came across this glowing sphere that someone made in OpenFrameworks, and was really curious as how I could do this. I read a lot about it, and I’m completely inexperienced with OpenGL and shaders so I didn’t do any of that.

So far, all I have is:

ofEnableAlphaBlending();
ofSetColor(255,0,0,127);
ofDrawSphere(position.x, position.y, position.z, radius);

which creates a transparent red sphere. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this or references I could look through? Thank you so much!

You need to learn shader to achieve glow/bloom effects.

hi, there are two things in that image, the “clouds”, which looks like a simple noise field (I think that there are some examples in the openframeworks examples) and the you have a blurred circle. Probably all is composited using ADD.
go to ofxAddons.com. There are some addons for adding glow and blur effects there. I only can recall, out of the top of my head, ofxPostProcessing .

As an analogy, think it like if you were doing this in Photoshop (assuming you know how to use it). The bunch of code you posted would be the same as selecting a color, grabbing the ellipse tool and drawing a circle at a certain position and expecting from this to get the image you are showing. What I want to illustrate is that you need a lot more steps to be done in order to achieve the reference you are showing, and usually it should be quite much the same steps as doing it on Photoshop or any other graphics software.

Hope this helps some how.