How to add OSC addon

Hello,
I’m trying to add the OSC addon but am getting a couple of errors when i run the oscreceiveExample. The first error is (there are many more!)-

OpenFW0.03/app/oscReceiveExample/…/…/libs/openFrameworks/sound/ofSoundPlayer.h:70: error: ‘FMOD_RESULT’ does not name a type

i have added the missing FMOD lib to the project under requiredLibs. Do I have to install something else FMOD related too?

I have added oscPack to the ‘libs’ directory and the osc addon files under ‘libs/openFrameworks/communication/osc’

i’m pretty clueless now!!

thank you for helping!
vaibhav

hi – happy to help (although we are ironing out some kinks with addons right now, so the info is changing underfoot) -

first, let’s backup - why are you adding fmod. in 0.03, we moved to fmodex, which should have been included in your 0.03 download. adding fmod (pre fmodex) is going to cause all kinds of issues (because it uses the same “.h” files as fmodex) and isn’t at all necessary for ofOsc. is there a reason why you are adding it? It’s going to cause a world of pain and the sound player stuff, based on fmodex, will break badly…

I think the order of operations for ofOsc (which we could help with) but just to get you a sense of how we do it:

a) download 0.03 for mac, make sure the examples compile, etc
b) download oscPack for mac, try to compile it (because I don’t believe we have compiled it yet) as a lib
c) put the lib / .h files into a folder

here’s where the instructions are shifting, from day to day as we figure out exactly how do this. today, we are thinking of and working on a folder system like this:

libs
apps
addons

you would put ofOsc and oscpack in the addons. then the next step is to get the includes and linkage right for the project you want ofOsc in.

I hope this description is a good starting point. we are working very hard on this issue right now and hope to have a set of clear guidlines and steps soon.

thanks!!
zach

Hi Zach thanks for the quick reply. I wasn’t aware about fmodx so now i added it to my app.
While looking for OSC support in OF I used the links you mentioned here
http://www.openframeworks.cc/forum/view-…-hlight=osc
and am trying to run the ‘oscreceiveExample’ provided in the OSC addon. Having never used OSC i wanted to inspect this example, and thats why I am trying to get it to run.

So now after using fmodx i get another error which is this
i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: OpenFW0.03/app/oscReceiveExample/…/…/libs/openFrameworks/sound/ofFmodUtils.cpp: No such file or directory

I can’t find ofFmodUtils.cpp anywhere on my system.

Also will I have to compile oscPack? Since my oscpack folder already contains some files in the lib folder- “liboscpack.a” and “oscpack.lib”. I have gone ahead and added oscpack to requiredlibs in my project.

Thanks a lot!!

hi

ok I think this is the issue:

oscReceiveExample

is made w/ of 0.02, while you are trying to compile it in 0.03, so it’s asking you for a bunch of things you don’t have, (and shouldn’t !!)

so, try this:

a) remove the source code from oscReceiveExample
b) create a new 0.03 project
c) put the src code into that 0.03 project

then, you will likely get a bunch of errors, but they will be osc specific and alot easier (and more relevant) —

take care!!
zach

Ok now i understand. i did that and this is the latest
/usr/bin/ld: archive: /Users/iamok/wobidog/sem03/openframeworks/OpenFW0.03/app/OSCTEST/…/…/libs/oscpack/lib/oscpack.lib has no table of contents, add one with ranlib(1) (can’t load from it)

ok - this is a nice error, because they tell you what to do.

from the command line run ranlib on the lib:

ranlib /blah/blah/blah…/oscpack.lib

let me know if that helps -

take care,
zach

I just did-
ranlib: warning for library: oscpack.lib the table of contents is empty (no object file members in the library define global symbols)
openframeworks/OpenFW0.03/libs/oscpack/lib

ok i think ranlib did make a difference. the project compiles but exits with this at console

openFrameworks has exited due to signal 5 (SIGTRAP).
[Session started at 2007-11-21 17:29:53 -0500.]
dyld: Library not loaded: liboscpack.so
Referenced from: /Users/iamok/wobidog/sem03/openframeworks/OpenFW0.03/app/OSCTEST/openFrameworksDebug.app/Contents/MacOS/openFrameworksDebug
Reason: image not found

it worked!! i had a rogue “liboscpack.so” file added to my oscpack requiredlibs folder. I removed it from the project leaving only liboscpack.a and oscpack.lib behind.

I will now play around with it and let you know if all is well. atleast for now the app compiles and runs!

great !!

very curious to see, and thanks for trying !!

take care
zach

thank you for all the help. its not as hard as i thought it would be…
see bangs to openframeworks
http://recombine.net/blog/images/109.png