How do i use an alternative version of opencv with OF?

i posted this question already in a thread that is 4 years old.
i thought it might be better to start a new one. hope that’s not cross posting :frowning:

I am trying to use opencv code that uses the gpu with of 0.9.3 on OS X 10.10.5. do we know if the static opencv.a lib for OS X has gpu enabled?

trying to run opencv gpu based code
gpu::GpuMat gpu_img;
which causes this compile errors like:
Variable has incomplete type 'gpu::GpuMat'

gpu::HOGDescriptor gpu_hog(cv::Size(64, 128), cv::Size(16, 16), cv::Size(8, 8), cv::Size(8, 8),9);
No member named 'gpu::HOGDescriptor' in namespace 'cv::gpu'; did you mean simply 'HOGDescriptor'?

does this simply mean ofxCv does not have these options build in to it’s wrapper? i also started to build opencv3 via brew brew install opencv3 --with-contrib --with-cuda --with-ffmpeg --with-tbb but was not sure how to link it properly in to OF. simply pointing to the include and lib folder seems not enough.
as suggested here:

here is the openCv example i am hoping to get running:

I think by now all of the libraries are complied using OF’s internal package manager Apothecary

This is the OpenCv formula

thanks for the info.

why do i then get these errors:

here the code:

might be because of -DWITH_CUDA=OFF?!

i see, the apothecary script seems not to build CUDA.

what would be the best approach be?
somehow work my way in to seeing apothecary via the quick start guide:

or use a separate opencv version, like the one i made via brew?

figured out how to start working with apothecary to update the opencv addon

$ /Applications/openFrameworks-0.9.3-master/scripts/apothecary/apothecary update ofxOpencv

before running the script i set -DWITH_CUDA=ON in the above mentioned OpenCv formula.

got make errors like this"
make[2]: *** [modules/core/CMakeFiles/cuda_compile.dir/src/cuda/] Error 1
make[1]: *** [modules/core/CMakeFiles/opencv_core.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

maybe @danomatika knows why?

here the full error:

I didn’t write the opencv formula, so I don’t know the details.

A quick google search using the clang error string turns up that the formula should probably compile each architecture separately & link them into a fat lib on OS X:

thanks for responding.

i guess i know too little about apothecary.

tried this:

kinder:~ stephan$  /Applications/openFrameworks-0.9.3-master/scripts/apothecary/apothecary update ofxOpenCv
/Applications/openFrameworks-0.9.3-master/scripts/apothecary/apothecary: line 68: /Users/stephan/ No such file or directory
/Applications/openFrameworks-0.9.3-master/scripts/apothecary/apothecary: line 978: XS: unbound variable
^ Received error ^

and this

kinder:~ stephan$ /Applications/openFrameworks-0.9.3-master/scripts/apothecary/apothecary ofxOpenCv/scripts/formulas/
/Applications/openFrameworks-0.9.3-master/scripts/apothecary/apothecary: line 68: /Users/stephan/ No such file or directory
 Missing lib build target (maybe you wanted "core"). See help: 'apothecary -h'.

and this

kinder:~ stephan$ /Applications/openFrameworks-0.9.3-master/scripts/apothecary/apothecary ofxOpenCv/scripts/formulas/ -t osx -a 64
/Applications/openFrameworks-0.9.3-master/scripts/apothecary/apothecary: line 978: XS: unbound variable

^ Received error ^

in case it’s useful the most uptodate formulas and apothecary are now in:

those formulas are also run on a ci server whenever there’s a change and the libraries compiled for all the platforms can be found here:

@stephanschulz did you ever manage to update the OpenCV version inside of openFrameworks? I also couldn’t get apothecary to work (also related to this issue ), so I’m now doing a manual build of OpenCV from source and then (hopefully) replacing the library and include files inside addons/ofxOpenCv . But no luck so far.

Would love to use OpenCV-DNN that’s included in 3.3.0 !

EDIT: applied this patch and at least Apothecary works again on my system. I changed VER to 3.3.0 and am about to see what happens!

@noio let me check with my co-worker. we recently compiled openCv with DNN ability. He was putting together a readme and was going to publish the code and examples.

That would be amazing!

I managed to successfully execute apothecary update opencv but am running into linker errors (for protobuf & TraceManager) when building my project.

To the rescue, here I am!
I forked apothecary last week to include a modified version of the formulae to compile version 3.3.0 of OpenCV on OSX, along with all the modules from the opencv_contrib repository.
Please consult:

Structure From Motion opencv3.0

Great, that worked! (after re-applying the realpath patch I mentioned before).

I can now compile openFrameworks with OpenCV 3.3.0! :tada:

(Now imread doesn’t work (returns empty matrices). I think because WITH_JPG and WITH_PNG are turned off as reported by cv::getBuildInformation()… Gonna try to fix that )