High FPS Cameras (90-200 fps)

Philips-SPC1330NC

Has anyone used this, or it’s predecessors? It looks like it was announced on their website about a month ago. I’m mostly curious if it can actually do 90 fps. They mention this “feature”:

[quote author=“Digital Natural Motion to eliminate juddering effects”]
Philips invented Digital Natural Motion to eliminate juddering effects that are visible with moving picture content. Digital Natural Motion estimates motion in the picture and corrects juddering movements in both broadcast and recorded movie material (such as DVD). The resulting smooth motion reproduction and excellent sharpness take the viewing experience to a higher level.[/quote]

Which makes me think maybe the 90 fps is just faked.

Regardless, they don’t seem to be available yet. The closest thing I could find was the SPC1300, which still claims 90 fps but uses a 1.3 MP sensor instead.

I have used the SPC1000NC on windows at 60fps before (need the latest videoInput library) on mac it won’t go above 30fps though.

Nice! I suppose the easiest way to find out if these newer versions can really do 90 fps is to project something that is actually changing that fast… a blinking LED, maybe.

If you need 60 fps+ the Point Grey cameras could be an option ( http://www.ptgrey.com/ )

They are a bit pricy, the Dragonfly2 is about $900 as far as I remember, but they come in all kinds of feature combinations, I’ve got a 1024x768 30fps color one and a 640x480 60fps B&W one, which I think can do a bit more than 60 if you initialize it with a special mode.

I’m pretty sure they have a Dragonfly2 that does up to 200 fps.

I also have a few FireflyMV’s, they were $300 each when I bought them, the sensor is not as good as the Dragonfly2, but they are excellent little cameras, 640x480 in 60 fps (possibly a bit more in a special format).

The Windows SDK is pretty easy to get going, plus they have a Directshow driver as well. On the mac I run mine with libdc1394, but the color Dragonfly2 works fine with Quicktime (not the B&W one!), you obviously don’t have much control over the camera though.

I’ve got a grabber class that uses the same interface for both that I’ll put out as an addon as soon as time permits (the latest libdc completely broke my grabber code so I’m still on an older version) but just email me if you need some work in progress code.

/A

I’ve been wondering how much those cameras cost. If the Philips do a similar resolution + framerate (i.e., not time-interpolated), then they are 1/3 to 1/6 the price of the Point Grey cameras and totally worth checking out.

Though $300 isn’t as bad as I was expecting. Especially if you already have some code to interface with it.

The application I have in mind (structured light scanning) doesn’t depend on the capture+processing being real time, though… so I’ve also been looking at the Casio exilims, which do high framerates (300 fps) at just below 640x480.

Mostly, I’m curious about DIY ways of making this happen. $300 for fast 3D scanning is arguably approaching the non-DIY realm…

The resolutions and fps on the Point Grey site for the dragon fly are these
Resolution: 648x488, 1036x776 or 1296x964
Frame Rates: 60 (BW/COL), 30 (HIBW/HICOL), 20FPS (13S2)

what are you getting on the mac?
can you get 1296x964?

I just wanted to point out that the philips cameras don’t do 60 or 90fps. They do 30fps interpolated and essentially send the same frame 3 times.

As mentioned above, the firefly does 60fps @ 640 x 480 and 125 @ 320 x 240. If you’re willing to try experimental drivers, the sony ps3eye on windows will do the same specs as the firefly for 1/8 of the price

[quote author=“alexbeim”]The resolutions and fps on the Point Grey site for the dragon fly are these
Resolution: 648x488, 1036x776 or 1296x964
Frame Rates: 60 (BW/COL), 30 (HIBW/HICOL), 20FPS (13S2)

what are you getting on the mac?
can you get 1296x964?[/quote]

Just to be clear, those are different sensor options. You can of course choose a lower resolution to capture in, but my 1024x768@30fps Dragonfly does not do 60 fps in 640x480 for instance.

The highest resolution sensor I have is 1024x768 (or 1036x776 with a special format I guess), it does 30 fps on both Mac and Windows.

/A

this may be of interest:

http://elphel.com/

these guys produce very cool ip-camera’s with handy formfactors, power-over-ethernet, high resolutions (currently up to 11MegaPixels), high framerates etc…
the cams run linux and embedded emcoder, all soft- and hardware is opensource, and they can do all sorts of usefull stuff like decimation

[quote author=“arri”]this may be of interest:

http://elphel.com/[/quote]

It looks like the slightly older 333 could do 512x384 at 138 fps, 112x112 at 1038 fps http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Images-and-videos-examples#High-FPS

But this still costs $150 for the sensor and $650 for the camera base. Comparable to the ptgrey cameras, maybe…?

If anyone else is interested in fast cameras, I thought I’d share some research.

Firstly, I don’t think any of these models include lenses, which are an extra ~$100.

Ephel
Elphel is super open source. Price-list. Most-basic-complete-model is $800. The sensor is 5MP, and examples-are-given of 112x112@1038 fps, 640x480@100 fps, and 512x384@138 fps.

Prosilica
Prosilica offers the GE680 and smaller GC640, which do 200 fps at 640x480 and 659x480 respectively. A representative called me and is emailing me a quote. These cameras operate over gigabit ethernet.

JAI/PULNiX
The TM-6740CL from JAI/PULNiX is what Song Zhang uses for his research (and probably what was used for the Radiohead video). They do 640x480 @ 180 fps (maybe higher, I forget). $2,011 for the monochrome one, which does not include lens or any other hardware. The output interface is Camera-Link, and thus requires an extra capture device.

Point-Grey
Point-Grey has the Grasshopper and Dragonfly-Express. The GRAS-03K2M Grasshopper and regular Dragonfly-Express both do 200 fps, at 648x488 and 640x480 respectively. They quoted me $1,195 for either, plus a required $100 dev kit. These operate over Firewire.

Good info, keep up the updates.
I wish there was something cheaper.

Hi all,
I would like to try Prosilica GE680.
It uses an Ethernet Gigabit connector.

Does anybody know if it will just work within OF? does OF videoGrabber accept Gigabit connetcions?

Thanks a lot!
j