Help Setting Up Sort Of

Hello! I am just staring with OF, and I am getting an error ever time I try to build a new project. I’m using Visual Studio 2012, from the link they took me to in the setup tutorial. I have the latest OF build. Here is the error:

Error 1 error MSB8020: The builds tools for v120 (Platform Toolset = ‘v120’) cannot be found. To build using the v120 build tools, either click the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then select “Update VC++ Projects…”. Install v120 to build using the v120 build tools. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.Cpp.Platform.targets 44 5 openframeworksLib

Error 2 error MSB8020: The builds tools for v120 (Platform Toolset = ‘v120’) cannot be found. To build using the v120 build tools, either click the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then select “Update VC++ Projects…”. Install v120 to build using the v120 build tools. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.Cpp.Platform.targets 44 5 Are_You_Like_Georgle_Quiz_

Please help, saddlepiggy

The platform toolset v120 is for Visual Studio 2013, try downloading OF’s latest stable release from the official site, version 0.8.4 for VS2012.

I’m using the0.8.4 build.

Same error here. I have tried VS2013, 2012 and 2010 with all the variations of releases out there. Is OF possible with Visual Studio?

oF is working well with VS 2015 and the master branch of oF.

Ok. I just tried it with VS 2012 Express with VS 2012 download http://openframeworks.cc/download/ and everything is working.

When I try to load it examples with VS 2012 Pro I get the error message
“One or more projects in the solution were not loaded correctly.Please see the Output Window for details.”

and
"Unable to read the project file “openframeworksLib.vcxproj”
as well as

“…ofxKinectCommonBridge.props” was not found. Confirm that the path in the declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk."

I think my either visual studio express 2012 or visual studio 2015 are the best options.

Thank you! Your reply made me re-download the new OF build, causing it to work for some weird reason!

nervusvagus, I’m still figuring all this out, but I had a similar issue, which was resolved by doing these things:

1. The path to OpenFrameworks is simple. For example: D:\of_v0.8.4_vs_release\
    Not a path like this, which broke it on mine: D:\Development\_Global SDK's\of_v0.8.4_vs_release\

2. All addons exist inside the OpenFrameworks folder. For example, I’m using ofxHapPlayer, so it goes here:
    D:\of_v0.8.4_vs_release\addons\ofxHapPlayer\

3. I used projectGenerator.exe (projectGenerator\projectGenerator.exe) to create my project, placing it in the OpenFrameworks apps folder, and not somewhere else on the system:
    D:\of_v0.8.4_vs_release\apps\myApps\myGreatApp