Has anyone used ofSketch for teaching?

I’m thinking of using ofSketch to teach an intro creative coding class this Spring, rather than starting the students off with Processing. I absolutely love Processing, but my hope is that by the end of the class the students will be working in OF anyway, so ofSketch might make the transition easier. Has anyone used ofSketch for teaching in this way? I’m curious to hear if there are certain things I should watch out for, if your students found it helpful or scary, etc. After a couple classes using ofSketch, I’m hoping that everyone will dive into XCode or VS.

1 Like

@bakercp @notandrewkaye @brannondorsey

Hi there @indefinit,

We are using ofSketch in this exact manor in a Creative Coding & Interactive Art class taught by @notandrewkaye, at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.

Personally, I think that it is working quite well. That said, it is more challenging (and there is much more handholding needed) in comparison to Processing because of:

1. Limited ofSketch + oF documentation
  2. Few barebones example projects to get students with little programming experience started

As far as your plan on using ofSketch as a gateway to openFrameworks w/ XCode, that is exactly how we are intend it to be used, and I’ve found it to work quite well for that purpose.

I would recommend taking a look at the ofSketch chapter I wrote for ofBook as well as the class website that Andrew is teaching this semester at SAIC.

@brannondorsey Thanks! That chapter is really helpful, and wow @notandrewkaye nice work on the Interactive Art & Creative Coding class site! I should create a static site like this for my class too.