GStreamer Under Mac (Framework method)

Hi, I’m trying to get GStreamer going on my Mac. I used these instructions:
http://blog.geoffdonaldson.com/2013/02/14/using-the-gstreamer-sdk-in-openframeworks-under-osx-10-8-mountain-lion/ (thanks Geoff!)

They suggest the new binary Frameworks that Gstreamer provides now.

So:
I have the Git tip of oF.
I have the Framework. The GStreamer examples build and run.
I have it included and linked into the VideoPlayerExample project. That compiles and links. I made the few tweaks to oF to make the Mac use Gstreamer over QT. (VideoPlayerExample runs fine with Quicktime)

So - app runs, an ofGST player instance is created. The Fingers movie URI is based to the GST pipeline, then I get to the pipeline starting, and it fails to start the pipeline (move it to a paused state):

[ error ] ofGstUtils: startPipeline(): unable to get pipeline paused state

From there, nothing works, obviously.

So - GST being pretty complex, I’m not sure where to start. Can I turn something on so that GST will report errors as it tries to start the pipeline? Or has someone else dealt with this?

Thanks,

Bruce

EDIT: Also found and tried this: https://github.com/gameoverhack/openFrameworks/commit/c011127c9bb1d2c789842789793979ad3761a983

No luck so far

i uploaded yesterday this addon:

https://github.com/arturoc/ofxGStreamer

which has no code but instead it has the necessary rules for the projectGenerator to be able to create a project that can use gstreamer. there’s some instructions in the README on how to install the correct version of the gstreamer sdk. Then just open the PG and create a new project adding the ofxGStreamer addon to it, you’ll need the latest version of the PG from github though:

http://github.com/ofZach/projectGeneratorSimple

then in your project just create an ofVideoPlayer and in setup before calling loadMovie or anything else on the player do:

  
  
player.setPlayer(ofPtr<ofGstVideoPlayer>(new ofGstVideoPlayer));  
  

from there just use the video player as usual and it’ll be using gst instead of qtkit

1 Like

OK, thanks. I will follow those and get in sync. I basically was at the same point, except for the (critical) part that it wasn’t working.

Bruce