Git version in makefile

I would like to have a string in my code automatically reflecting the git commit number, and show it in an “about” dialog. Here it is suggested to add the following to the makefile:

gitversion.c: .git/HEAD .git/index
    echo "const char *gitversion = \"$(shell git rev-parse HEAD)\";" > $@

unfortunately I don’t know enough about make to make it work, I tried to add it to compile.project.mk but without success.

Can someone suggest how to do this? (if it is possible at all with the OF makefile)

thanks
Davide

You don’t need make to do this, though it would certainly work. But you may want to use a non-make-build system so a more general solution might be useful.

One simple alternative, if you are already using git, is to create git commit hook. For example, you could write a simple “post commit hook” to (re)generate a Version.h file that you can include from your ‘about’ dialog header. You can read more about writing your own git hooks here.

1 Like

Thank you. Git hooks are the way to go :slight_smile:

EDIT: for future reference this is what I wrote (quick and dirty, adapted from some example found online). The script name is “git-create-revisioninfo-hook.sh”

#!/bin/bash
## Automatically generate a file with git branch and revision info
##
## Install:
##   cp git-create-revisioninfo-hook.sh .git/hooks/post-commit
##   cp git-create-revisioninfo-hook.sh .git/hooks/post-checkout
##   cp git-create-revisioninfo-hook.sh .git/hooks/post-merge
##   chmod +x .git/hooks/post-*

FILENAME='src/version.h'

exec 1>&2
branch=`git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD`
shorthash=`git log --pretty=format:'%h' -n 1`
revcount=`git log --oneline | wc -l`
latesttag=`git describe --tags --abbrev=0 --always`

echo "// Automatically generated by git hook. Do not edit manually." > $FILENAME
echo "" >> $FILENAME
echo "#define GIT_BRANCH $branch" >> $FILENAME
echo "#define GIT_LATEST_TAG $latesttag" >> $FILENAME
echo "#define GIT_REVCOUNT $revcount" >> $FILENAME
echo "#define GIT_SHORT_HASH $shorthash" >> $FILENAME

1 Like