Get video frame from PoE(Power over Ethernet) Camera

is there anyone who ever had experience with PoE camera?

i want to use optitrack slim 13E model which using GigE/PoE I/O. but I never experience with these type of camera before. is it like IP based camera? it doesn’t looks like working like USB camera… optitrack support camera SDK… but even I check the source code, I don’t understand how it works… I want to use this one with MAC but officially they support windows only…

any help ?

you will only be able to use the SDK on windows it is a proprietary format and communication.

i have used AVT Mako and Prosilica ethernet cameras on OS X with the ofxprosilica addon:

The Mako is a PoE cam.

I have used it on OF 0.8.4 and OS X 10.9 - 10.10
I was not able to get it working on OF 0.9.0. Maybe @moostrik can fix that :slight_smile:

update:
got it all to work on OS X 10.10 with OF 0.9.0

1 Like

thanks for the replies…!

I did more researching… and might be choose other option.
pointgrey flex 3 camera… USB3 / PoE cam. I found some threads which is confirmed worked with oF. i did not bought yet so I’m not sure it’ll work with oF 0.9.x.

I think the difference you need to be clear about is not the fact that the cameras are POE, this just means that they can extract their power from an ethernet connection that supports POE (power over ethernet). There are several protocols that can transfer images over ethernet cameras, IPCameras, and GigE Vision are 2 more common standards. GigE Vision cameras are now mostly POE but this does not describe the protocol they use to send data. The stadard is described here

The optitrack cameras are POE but do not use the same protocol as GigE Vision, they use a proprietary protocol that does travel over gigabit ethernet and has POE. The standard is described here

Sorry to be so picky but this can help clear things up for others reading this thread.

1 Like

thanks for informations!

I want to tracking people outside… at night… so I’ll use IR illuminator, and capture image from IR filtered camera. maybe 2 or 4 cameras will be use I think… not I’m looking for some great resolution(at least 1280x1024) cams working with oF. problem is a distance. I need to cover 20M x 10M area so camera need to install very high, and this means that need long cables… USB is limited you know, so that’s why I’m looking for PoE cameras…

I never been use PoE camera before… and like you said, it doesn’t looks like normal usb camera (which is… just plugin USB port and simply grab image…)… I think at least it need ip address configuration… etc… I don’t have any knowledge with that… that’s why I ask here…

anyway… it’s just planning… maybe I just use USB3 cam with one machine…

I use some variation of this camera for tracking (the actual one I use is not available but generally they are built from the same sensor kit that has the same capabilities.

I have another model, but it has manual controls (via a menu-most do) and you can change lenses to get the FOV you need. It outputs HDSDI and the cable lengths can be long before you need to us any kind of extension (100m is usually ok with a good cable). You can capture HD (1080p25 or 720p50) with a blackmagic capture box from about $150. The ofxBlackmagic addon is up to date and working with the latest OF. There are variations of the blackmagic capture cards and boxes that will take 4 signals simultaneously and the addon will work with multiple devices.

For IR work I use an IR pass filter from midwest optics (one that matches the wavelength of the lights I use).

It is not as good quality as a machine vision camera (less sensitive and no high frame rates) but I get excellent results and super low latency on OSX at high resolution with blob tracking. Overall a kit like this is cheap and flexible and easy to get going. The biggest difference is that with a machine vision camera you can set the settings on the camera remotely.

There are also modified ps3eye cameras from peau productions that let you change lenses and they have an IR kit as well.

Fred

@icq4ever I have had very good experiences with pointgrey PoE cameras recently for a permanent installation, with ofx 0.9; our installation had 8 cameras transmitting 320x240 resolution at 30 fps over the same Gigabit Ethernet network. If you are in windows or linux the point grey driver is really easy to have it workings, and the cameras are extremely configurable in all the presets; you basically poll the frames form the driver (abstracting if its USB or PoE).

But that resolution you comment (1280x1024) will take a huge amount of network bandwidth, so you may need to sacrifice frame rate. The point gray site have great information about bandwidth calculation.

In our installation some cameras were 100m away from the server, so its very flexible in placement. Note that you need a good PoE switch to drive electricity to the cameras, we have been using TP-LINK for that.

@drakko thanks for confirmed information! maybe I’ll choose pointgrey camera… I’ll update my experience later. :smiley:

Cool, let me know if you go that route, I can share the class that I used to connect to it. All the addons available are outdated and don’t work anymore, and I have no cameras available any more to try to organize my code in a proper addon.

As a guide for selecting hums and network cards the optitrack page is good.

http://www.optitrack.com/products/sync-switches-hubs/

The switches here support their cameras and they run at high frame rates and resolutions, however the protocol is significantly different to gigEvision. I have used systems with 8 high res high framerate cameras with this system.