General audio video codec performance advice?

Hi all,

I’m just looking for some general advice on VideoPlayer in OF. I need to play one Full-HD video plus 2x XGA (1024x768) video simultaneously. The Full-HD video is also processed by a GPU shader. The XGA’s aren’t.

Because of the GPU shader processing I cannot create one big video so I’m going for playing 3 video’s simultaneously. This works nicely although I have noticed the OF video player isn’t performing as good as a dedicated videoplayer. Are there any recommendations for a setup like this?

What codec would be best for maintaining best sync? I reckon a MJPG would best? I know it’s almost impossible to maintain a perfect sync in a setup like this.

The system is powerfull enough I think. Core2 Duo 3Ghz/4GB Ram/GTX 560 Ti/Matrox Triplehead2Go running a very very bare linux installation. I haven’t seen any performance issues just yet… knock, knock

I’m using setVerticalSync(true). And also in the nvidia driver… btw

Rg,

Arnaud

you can also make one big video and draw only a part of it to apply the shaders individually like:

ofMesh quad1;  
quad1.addVertex(0,0);  
quad1.addVertex(1024,0);  
quad1.addVertex(1024,768);  
quad1.addVertex(0,768);  
quad1.addTexCoord(0,0);  
quad1.addTexCoord(1024,0);  
quad1.addTexCoord(1024,768);  
quad1.addTexCoord(0,768);  

bigvideo.getTextureReference().bind();  
quad1.draw();  
bigvideo.getTextureReference().unbind();  

and the same for the rest of the parts of the video. create the mesh in setup so you don’t need to recreate it once and again. Don’t know if this will help that much in terms of speed but it’ll for sure help with the sync

I had thought of that. I might try that but it’s definitely more processing… Still sync would be better indeed.

Arnaud