Fullscreen over multiple monitors in Linux?

Closeley related to: MultiDisplayFullscreen on Linux?

Though I thought I ask the question more general. Is there a way to show a single OF renderer (extended) on multiple monitors under Linux? Doesn’t have to be “true” fullscreen, the window should just cover all of the monitors without any system UI showing.
I tried using ofGLFWWindowSettings with multiMonitorFullScreen set to true without any effect as described in the thread above. Though maybe I misunderstood the meaning of that variable?
I also tried setting the window resolution to the combined resolution of the monitors but that doesn not work either. The window simply extends to the max size of the monitor where it started or moved to.

Really just any crude way would do it for me as long as I don’t suffer a big performance hit.

what distribution are you using? this varies a lot depending on the window manager. i tested this on unity and i think gnome when we introduced it and it was working without problem

So multiMonitorFullScreen does indeed what I want to do? I have tried this on Unity and right now trying it on KDE. I will install Gnome and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the input!

yes it should

this in main is working for me:

int main()
{
    ofGLFWWindowSettings settings;
    settings.windowMode = OF_FULLSCREEN;
    settings.multiMonitorFullScreen = true;
    ofCreateWindow(settings);
    ofRunApp(new ofApp);
}
1 Like

Weird, I tried exactly that with no success. I tried in Gnome and KDE (My Unity test was a while ago, maybe I did something different). All it does is go into a semi fullscreen, the same as clicking on the maximize button on the window control. I tried doing this in the graphicsExample and imageLoaderExample.

I’m running Ubuntu 15.10. Though the same happend on 15.04.