we just got a video together, documenting the performance FROST, that jonas jongejan and i got involved in on a very short notice in the fall 2009 - incidendtially, just after my trip to greenland.
we put three point grey cams and some infrared lights, led par 64 cans (dmx from our own arduino, of course) and a nice panasonic projector on stage.
on the mac, we dived into cocoa, and made the first version of a modular openFrameworks app, controllable via midi.
there’s links to further info down the page, where you will find a full video documentation of the piece and the google code project.
best / ole
danish dance theatre, fall 2009
an interactive video scenography for a danish dance theatre performance/installation. developed with choreographer tina tarpgaard and programmer jonas jongejan.
first edit of the full performance
working with the talented dancers of danish dance theatre, we created a universe of frozen bodies, melting ice and dripping waters. the scenography is primarily consisting of video projections in concert with andreas buhls lighting design, primarily using led based light sources to accomodate the intricacies of infrared tracking.
frost was from the outset designed to be tour-friendly and as such our software has to be flexible and easily adjustable for different stage dimensions.
the software is open source and we are very grateful to the openframeworks community, whose efforts form the basis of our programming work. the software for frost intergrates openframeworks into a cocoa-based mac os x snow leopard application running on a mac pro seeing the dancers through three point grey flea 2 ieee 1394b cameras, showing the opengl graphics using a single video projector with a 0.7 wide angle optics and qued from qlab using apples midi networking capabilities.
while the code is full of all kinds of nice trickeries, the application itself is not of much use outside the scope of our performance. apart from a quite big space and a professional dance company, it requires IIDC cams and it works tightly together with qLab, a third party app - and i haven’t even listed the c++ lib dependencies
… the code is messy too - so read if you please, compile if you can - but don’t expect it to compute straight away