For ODROID-C2 Would we compile ARMv6 or ARMv7 OpenFrameworks?

Hello all, The ODROID-C2 was released a few days ago selling for $40, and will support 4K Video when the drivers are finished next month. Since the CPU is a Quad Core ARMv8 based CPU (ARMv8 is 64-bit), which version of OpenFrameworks would you recommend attempting to compile on it, ARMv6 or ARMv7? I intend to use Ubuntu 16.04 as the OS. I know that ARMv6 is used for Raspbian even on ARMv7 Raspberry Pi 2 because Raspbian no longer supports ARMv7. But since ARMv6 and ARMv7 are both 32-bit chip architectures, I am wondering which version would be best to compile on Ubuntu 16.04 with ARMv8 architectures. Now, with the release of Raspberry Pi 3, which is ARMv8, a 64-bit computer, I believe that you will be definitely compiling and testing OpenFrameworks on ARMv8 architectures, and you will likely making the scripts compatible with ARMv8 in both versions of OpenFrameworks, right?

Also, will you release an ARMv8 version of OpenFrameworks for ARM chips? 64-bit computing takes more memory, though the ODROID-C2 does have 2 GB RAM, twice that of RPI2 and RPI3.

Also, the ODROID-C2 supports OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0, but not OpenCL. How does this effect compiling OpenFrameworks on ODROID-C2 and what versions of OpenGL does OpenFrameworks require?

Thank you for your time to answer my questions.

Until Raspbian releases an ARM8/64 bit version, OF is likely to stick with armv6 for the RPI3 as well.

As for an ARM8 specific version I would guess support for it would come from Arch Linux first as it is the only reliable way to run ARM7 on the RPi (that I know of)

As for the ODROID-C2, like most boards, someone will have to port it first from either the OF Arm7 version or the generic Linux distro.

As for OpenGL I think the lowest OF supports is 2.1? However on the RPi (and other boards) Open GL ES 2 is more common. There is some work being done to support Open GL ES 3 however that is mainly on the mobile side

My Mistake: I meant ODROID-C2 supports OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0. So OF supports OpenGL ES 2.0, right? Also How would you recommend someone to go about porting ARMv7 or ARMv6 OF code to ODROID-C2, or to any board not yet ported to? And if someone has already ported to a particular board, how does he add that port back to the OF website?

Also, do you expect the Raspbian OS to be branched to support the different versions of ARM, including both ARMv7 and ARMv8? Wouldn’t that provide better performance for RPI2 and RPI3 rather than using one Raspbian for all RPI architectures?

OF works with both OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0

Typically you start with making a Platform variant file - you can see some of those here:

In the case of ARM8/64 bit, eventually. Raspbian didn’t see significant performance gains in order to justify an ARM7 version.

The short term answer appears to be no. Its a tradeoff between getting the latest cutting edge features vs backwards compatibility and a universal image that works for all Pis from A/B/A+/B+/2B/3B/0. On a related note if you look a the armv7 performance comparison in Linero vs armv6 for Raspbian, you will see the performance gains are a mixed bag since Raspbian is so well optimized. I think there’s definitely value in making the most out of the new hardware - the question is whether there is enough resources available to work on it…

@e_dunstan
How did your ODROID-C2 + OF experiments go?
Were you able to get OF running and was the performance superior to an RPi 3?

I’d like to try it if so…

thanks!