Flash developer attempting to move into iPhone development

Hi,

I have been developing for web and Flash (AS3) for years, and have recently decided to make the jump to mobile development to try to port some of my games. I already have some experience with Objective-C, to the extent that I can make basic applications, and my experience with Flash has already set me up for OOP development.

I am drawn to OF as a predominantly creative developer with a poor understanding of the low level processes behind graphics, sound etc. Consequently, I can’t cope with OpenGL. OF seems to be ideal in that it may handle all that shit for me.

As a Flash developer with some basic C++/Obj-C experience, how easy will it be to pick up and get started with?

Fell at the first hurdle. Just installed OF and this-template but I get the following error:

cd /Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest  
    setenv PATH "/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/bin:/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"  
    /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -x c++ -arch i386 -fmessage-length=0 -pipe -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -fasm-blocks -O0 -Wreturn-type -Wunused-variable -D__IPHONE_OS_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED=20000 -isysroot /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator2.2.sdk -fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -gdwarf-2 -iquote "/Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/build/ofTest.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/iPhone oF.build/ofTest-generated-files.hmap" "-I/Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/build/ofTest.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/iPhone oF.build/ofTest-own-target-headers.hmap" "-I/Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/build/ofTest.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/iPhone oF.build/ofTest-all-target-headers.hmap" -iquote "/Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/build/ofTest.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/iPhone oF.build/ofTest-project-headers.hmap" -F/Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/build/Debug-iphonesimulator -I/Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/build/Debug-iphonesimulator/include -I../../../libs/freetype -I../../../libs/freetype/include -I../../../libs/freetype/lib -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype/config -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype/internal -I../../../libs/freetype/include/freetype/internal/services "-I/Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/build/ofTest.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/iPhone oF.build/DerivedSources/i386" "-I/Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/build/ofTest.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/iPhone oF.build/DerivedSources" -include /var/folders/nL/nLjWfsuJG0Gf1w+E-zTbgE+++TI/-Caches-/com.apple.Xcode.501/SharedPrecompiledHeaders/iPhone_Prefix-ejmpvnlrommgfoajfxtpzmvsqetf/iPhone_Prefix.pch -c /Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/../../../addons/ofxiPhone/src/ofxiPhoneAlerts.cpp -o "/Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/build/ofTest.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/iPhone oF.build/Objects-normal/i386/ofxiPhoneAlerts.o"  
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1: /Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/../../../addons/ofxiPhone/src/ofxiPhoneAlerts.cpp: No such file or directory  
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1: warning: '-x c++' after last input file has no effect  
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1: no input files  

Summarised as:

Compiling /Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/../../../addons/ofxiPhone/src/ofxiPhoneAlerts.cpp (1 error)  

[...]  

Command /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 failed with exit code 1  

/Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/…/…/…/addons/ofxiPhone/src/ofxiPhoneAlerts.cpp -o “/Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/build/ofTest.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/iPhone oF.build/Objects-normal/i386/ofxiPhoneAlerts.o”
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1: /Users/Aneurin/Documents/openFrameworks/apps/anny/ofTest/…/…/…/addons/ofxiPhone/src/ofxiPhoneAlerts.cpp: No such file or directory

at first glance, looks like you are missing the ofxIphone src, can you see if that exists in the addons folder? If not, can you make sure that you have download the OF release for iphone (not OF for mac osx?).

it might be more complicated then that, but that’s my first thought …

take care,
zach

I did some scouting and it turned out I was missing the ofxiPhoneAlerts.* files; I found them on the ofxiPhone-SVN. Those three files were missing from 0.06 on the package-download-page.

It compiles okay now. Next: to learn something. :o

Hey, yea sorry about that. It’s mentioned in the comments, but I"ll add it in bold in the post too cos a lot of people have mentioned it!