error ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'ALCdevice' with no type

I just downloaded 007 and I’m receiving this message when I attempt a build:

error ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'ALCdevice' with no type  

It’s referencing the ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h file, line 113, which reads:

static ALCDevice * aldevice  

I’m running Ubuntu 9.10., using CodeBlocks.

Thanks!

have you executed the install_dependencies script and it finished without errors? if so it could be that 9.10 has an old version of openAL and the api has changed since them

When I run install_dependencies.sh, this is what I get:

compiling object for  ../../../openFrameworks/app/ofAppRunner.cpp  
mkdir -p obj/Debug/openFrameworks/app  
g++ -g3 -Wall -fexceptions -I../../../FreeImage/include -I../../../assimp/include -I../../../assimp/include/Compiler -I../../../cairo/include -I../../../cairo/include/libpng15 -I../../../cairo/include/pixman-1 -I../../../cairo/include/cairo -I../../../fmodex/include -I../../../freetype/include -I../../../freetype/include/freetype2 -I../../../freetype/include/freetype2/freetype -I../../../freetype/include/freetype2/freetype/config -I../../../freetype/include/freetype2/freetype/internal -I../../../freetype/include/freetype2/freetype/internal/services -I../../../glew/include -I../../../glew/include/GL -I../../../kiss/include -I../../../portaudio/include -I../../../rtAudio/include -I../../../tess2/include -I../../../poco/include -I../../../glu/include -I../../../openFrameworks/ -I../../../openFrameworks/app -I../../../openFrameworks/3d -I../../../openFrameworks/gl -I../../../openFrameworks/utils -I../../../openFrameworks/video -I../../../openFrameworks/math -I../../../openFrameworks/communication -I../../../openFrameworks/graphics -I../../../openFrameworks/events -I../../../openFrameworks/sound -I../../../openFrameworks/types -pthread -I/usr/include/gstreamer-0.10 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/libxml2    -MMD -MP -MFobj/Debug/openFrameworks/app/ofAppRunner.d -MTobj/Debug/openFrameworks/app/ofAppRunner.d -o obj/Debug/openFrameworks/app/ofAppRunner.o -c ../../../openFrameworks/app/ofAppRunner.cpp  
In file included from ../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofSoundPlayer.h:32,  
                 from ../../../openFrameworks/app/ofAppRunner.cpp:5:  
../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h:14:19: warning: AL/al.h: No such file or directory  
../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h:15:20: warning: AL/alc.h: No such file or directory  
In file included from ../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofSoundPlayer.h:32,  
                 from ../../../openFrameworks/app/ofAppRunner.cpp:5:  
../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h:113: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘ALCdevice’ with no type  
../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h:113: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token  
../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h:114: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘ALCcontext’ with no type  
../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h:114: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token  
../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h:121: error: ‘ALuint’ was not declared in this scope  
../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h:121: error: template argument 1 is invalid  
../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h:121: error: template argument 2 is invalid  
../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h:122: error: ‘ALuint’ was not declared in this scope  
../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h:122: error: template argument 1 is invalid  
../../../openFrameworks/sound/ofOpenALSoundPlayer.h:122: error: template argument 2 is invalid  
make: *** [obj/Debug/openFrameworks/app/ofAppRunner.o] Error 1  
there has been a problem compiling Debug OF library  
please report this problem in the forums  

yes it seems like the version of openAL you have is too old. you can try installing it manually or updating your system. Actually i would recommend to update the OS, 9.10 is almost 2 years old now

Upgraded to 11.04 and works like a charm. Thanks!